Palit GTX 460 1gb Question

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I've read that the Sonic Platinum version has a custom PCB, heatsink, and fan, but I haven't seen any confirmation that the regular Sonic version has the same custom cooling features. Looking at pictures it looks like the Platinum version has a nicer heatsink with heat pipes (read somewhere that the Sonic version doesn't have pipes). Is this true or is the Platinum version just an overclocked version of the Sonic? And is the Sonic composed of reference parts except the PCB?

I was looking to get one of these, but if anyone has any other GTX 460 1Gb's they can recommend that may be better let me know. Thanks

Solution
The sonic and sonic platinum have DIFFERENT cooling solution. The 2gb and sonic edition have just an aluminum heatsink, while the platinum has heatpipes and a different heatsink. If you are buying the sonic edition, look elsewhere because it is probably the worst performing cooler out of the gtx 460 lot.

(I know because I had a pair before returning them due to other issues) They weren't that hot honestly (maxing out at about 79c on the top card, but if you overclocked it and all that other good stuff I would see it getting quite hot.
From looking at the pics and doing a few searches. It looks like the Sonic and Sonic Platinum have the same coolers and what not, just different clocks. The Platinum has an 800MHz GPU clock, the Sonic is 700MHz. I see they moved the power connectors to the side, but not sure if that really equates to a "custom PCB, it's probably the same but at factory they request this. Palit always seems to try and be little different, they tend to have an card with aggressive overclocking, which would be the sonic platinum.

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
if you go to newegg or the palit website and look closely you can see that the Sonic Platinum has 2 copper looking heatpipes and looks like a larger heat sink, while the Sonic doesn't even have pipes and it looks like a different sink... i dunno

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
The sonic and sonic platinum have DIFFERENT cooling solution. The 2gb and sonic edition have just an aluminum heatsink, while the platinum has heatpipes and a different heatsink. If you are buying the sonic edition, look elsewhere because it is probably the worst performing cooler out of the gtx 460 lot.

(I know because I had a pair before returning them due to other issues) They weren't that hot honestly (maxing out at about 79c on the top card, but if you overclocked it and all that other good stuff I would see it getting quite hot.

Solution

nitroxideog

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
i mean't i couldn't see the Twin Frozr II anywhere.

thanks for the info. looking at the Asus or the Sonic Platinum if it drops nicely in price. Will wait to see how the Twin Frozr does.

Helltech

Distinguished

Its the MSI Cyclone not the MSI Twin Frozr, I just mispoke.