PSU might be not be putting out enough juice

kevinmbaron

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
so i have been have locks while gaming. I believed the video card to be the issue. But now i think it might be the power supply. I noticed all the values are a little lower then what they should be. I checked them with everest and this is what i got.

3.3v is 3.23
5v is 4.68
12v is 11.65
5v standby is 4.81

I'm no power supply expert but these seems low to me. The power supply is a pc power and cooling S75QB 750W. I contacted them and they told me there is nothing wrong. That it's still withing the spec limit.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I would like to know your hardware first.
Otherwise, those voltages are normal. My theory is that motherboards only have a limited number of circuits the voltages can go through, and all the options in the BIOS aren't really available. For instance, the BIOS will say anything from 1.1v-1.9v in .01 increments is available, yet it will only really be 1.1v, 1.167, 1.189... ECT.

kevinmbaron

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks everyone for the help.

My system specs are Asus striker II formula mobo, 8gigs ram, gtx295, cpu e8400, zalman z-machine gt1000 case. Zerotherm Nirvana cpu cooler.

Case has two intake fans in front. I placed a filter over them which i vaccum weekly to prevent dust. Cpu temps idle at 35c. Mobo is 30c. Video card idles at 60 running two monitors. Nothing is overclocked at all.

I had believed at first the video card was to blame, and it might be. However i was worried that these voltage reading which are close to the same in the bios are two low. If i am wrong then thats good to. I have a theory that the video card while fast as *** is a design nightmare. I've been thru 3 cards thru rma. They are cool and fine at first but months later they get hotter and i crash while playing games. Looking at the voltage i saw something not right. So i wondered if the cards where being killed by the PSU.

PSU came with a 5 year warrenty i believe. They told me i can send it in but also said from the voltage i gave them that it's fine.

TRENDING THREADS