Sign in with
Your question

Additional duplicate memory on ASUS P5QL PRO will not work

Last response: in Motherboards
August 27, 2011 3:05:19 PM

I am running WIN XP Pro, the RAM is Made by Kingston. Original chipset packaging is Kingston, KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB PC2 - 6400 CL6 240 Pin DIMM 1.8V
All 4 are exactly the same. Original installed is exactly the same. I noticed the sockets are offset for the second pair of ram chips. Didn't know if there was something I needed to reset? Read the User guide and it stated they should work and I can up it to 16GB if I wanted. All the ram chips are exactly the same.
It gets as far as the windows XP welcome screen then locks up.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this???

Thanks in advance,

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 206 V Motherboard
August 27, 2011 4:10:10 PM

redhead1 said:
I am running WIN XP Pro, the RAM is Made by Kingston. Original chipset packaging is Kingston, KVR800D2N6/2G 2GB PC2 - 6400 CL6 240 Pin DIMM 1.8V
All 4 are exactly the same. Original installed is exactly the same. I noticed the sockets are offset for the second pair of ram chips. Didn't know if there was something I needed to reset? Read the User guide and it stated they should work and I can up it to 16GB if I wanted. All the ram chips are exactly the same.
It gets as far as the windows XP welcome screen then locks up.
Anyone have any ideas or experience with this???

Thanks in advance,

Which memory sockets were you using for the original pair of memory modules?

Hopefully you were using the two yellow sockets for dual-channel mode.

If you were using the two yellow and black sockets closest to the CPU you have been running in the lower performance single channel mode all this time.

Enter the AMI BIOS Setup Utility --> AI Tweaker --> DRAM Timing Control and post the strings of numbers back here for the following settings:

1st Information:
2nd Information:
3rd Information:

When you add memory modules the memory bus loading increases and the memory timings need to be relaxed to achieve stability. If the DRAM Timing Control is set on [Auto] and the incorrect timings are being used you're going to run into instability problems. You may need to set the timings manually.

Also check that the Memory Voltage is set to 1.8V.
August 27, 2011 7:11:30 PM

!st thing you are right the chips are in the B & W closest to the CPU!

Memory voltage is auto.

Dram timing strings are"
1st Information 6-6-6-18-3-52-6-3
2nd Information 8-3-6-4-6-4-7
3rd Information 15-5-1-7-7

How this is what you need me to check.

Thanks again
IH
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 206 V Motherboard
August 27, 2011 9:27:55 PM

From your question "Didn't know if there was something I needed to reset?" in your original post I take it that you haven't performed a Clear RTC RAM procedure.

Make sure you turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord before you perform the procedure. Consult your motherboard manual for the exact steps on how to clear the RTC RAM.

Have you also checked Windows XP's System events using the Event Viewer to see if there are any Error events that may give you an indication of what may be causing the problem?
August 27, 2011 11:35:56 PM

Never did an RTC Clear procedure before. Just wanted to be clear before I attempt that that I an back to the 2 original chips setups running in the system now, I have not yet attempted to try anything else with the two new chips installed in the second sockets.

Should I perform the RTC Clear before I install those?

Thanks for all your help with this.
I await your response.

IH
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 206 V Motherboard
August 27, 2011 11:40:17 PM

redhead1 said:
Never did an RTC Clear procedure before. Just wanted to be clear before I attempt that that I an back to the 2 original chips setups running in the system now, I have not yet attempted to try anything else with the two new chips installed in the second sockets.

Should I perform the RTC Clear before I install those?

Thanks for all your help with this.
I await your response.

IH

The Clear RTC RAM procedure should be done with the all four memory modules installed. This procedure forces all BIOS settings back to their default settings and also forces re-detection of hardware components.
August 29, 2011 7:06:40 PM

Thanks, I will attempt the clear some time today, will advice success.

Thanks again, IH
!