Computer freezing when booting

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
First of all, I'm not 100% sure that this is a problem with the processor. There might just as well be another issue with something. However, I just got a new processor and my old one worked fine, so I would belive the processor is the one I should be focusing on.

The problem I'm having is that my computer locks up when booting, sometimes at login screen, sometimes when viewing the desktop. I've also noticed that the freezes usually occur when something's is loading, because of that little round blue loading thingy visible in windows 7 and vista.

Another problem I'm having is that the AMD Overdrive program is also locking up, sometimes when starting it, sometimes when applying clocks.

Luckily all these freezes are not so severe since I usually get things to work after restarting my system 2 or 3 times. After making successful restarts, I can go on playing, surfing, basically whatever I want without the system locking up anymore.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P SOCKET AM3
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.6GHz (problem was occuring when running 3,4 as well)
Powercolor 5870 @ 875/1225 (factory oc)
Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 4GB
Corsair Powersupply 650W TX
Western Digital Caviar Greenpower 1TB

ps: old processor that was working was the AMD Phenom II 945 running at stock clocks.

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Temps seemed to be quite normal, like 34 degrees idle and about 50 at load. I'm using stock cooler.

I upgraded the cpu because it appeared my 5870 should work better in some games, I belived it was because of the cpu. And I'm worthless at overclocking so the phenom 945 was a bit of a problem and I had to leave it at the stock clock (it has a locked multiplier). So I got myself a black edition which I thought would work much better! I was considering getting a 6x AMD as well but didn't turn out that way.

No, I haven't done a bios upgrade and don't know how either.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Ok, moderator, whoever you are. Why the hell are you going through every thread I post in and deleting everything I say? Is my information not good enough for you? SHOW YOURSELF, COWARD!

Joeses

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks dadiggle, but it appears the update was meant only for 32-bit systems. I received a message while trying to start the autoexec saying it's incompatible with 64-bit systems.