Compact camera recommendations?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 7, 2005 7:29:31 AM

Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor situations
and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what I
need:
1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
4. $300 - plus or minus
5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)

Here's a list I've researched soo far:
Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?

Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 7:29:32 AM

bentre wrote:
> Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor
situations
> and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is
what I
> need:
> 1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
> 2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night
situations
> 3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
> 4. $300 - plus or minus
> 5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)

Add Ricoh R1V to that list. IMO, it beats the rest of them in speed and
response. And is small too.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:16:41 PM

Take the Sony W1 !!

AFH

bentre schrieb:

> Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor situations
> and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what I
> need:
> 1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
> 2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
> 3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
> 4. $300 - plus or minus
> 5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)
>
> Here's a list I've researched soo far:
> Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
> Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
> Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
> Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
> Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
> Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
> Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?
>
> Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?
January 7, 2005 2:15:35 PM

I have an Z-40 and I'm fond of it. It's very fast, the big lcd is
great. It's almost too small, I often have to look around for it. I
take it a lot of places I wouldn't usually take a camera.

A few weeks ago a friend lent me his E510 and I like that camera a
lot. The 27mm lens is cool and it takes a good picture. Uses regular
AAs

Here's a few test shots, they've been processed (of course)

http://newmex.com/f10/pics

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:29:31 GMT, "bentre" <leave@it.com> wrote:

>Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor situations
>and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what I
>need:
>1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
>2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
>3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
>4. $300 - plus or minus
>5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)
>
>Here's a list I've researched soo far:
>Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
>Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
>Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
>Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
>Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
>Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
>Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?
>
>Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:53:26 PM

Greetings Bentre,

You might consider, along with those you have mentioned, the Kodak LS753 or
maybe the LS743 from Kodak. Small in size but with a lot of features. 753
can do movies at VGA (640x480 pixels) at 13 fps or at a faster frame rate in
QVGA (320x240 pixels) at 20 fps. Camera has a nice power supply as well,
i.e. Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery, DC-in jack on side of camera for 5V
adapter via an EasyShare Dock 6000 terminal.

I have an earlier version that I keep in my cars console, so I am at the
ready. Small and easy to get.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"bentre" <leave@it.com> wrote in message
> Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor
situations
> and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what
> need:
> 1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
> 2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
> 3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
> 4. $300 - plus or minus
> 5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)
>
> Here's a list I've researched soo far:
> Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
> Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
> Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
> Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
> Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
> Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
> Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?
>
> Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 10:56:14 AM

Hi there

You may want to check out this page which lists some excellent compact
digital cameras:

http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/top-10-ultra-c...

Gary

bentre wrote:
> Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor
situations
> and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is
what I
> need:
> 1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
> 2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night
situations
> 3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
> 4. $300 - plus or minus
> 5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)
>
> Here's a list I've researched soo far:
> Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
> Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
> Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
> Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
> Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
> Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
> Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?
>
> Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:19:21 AM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Take the Sony W1 !!
>
> AFH
>
> bentre schrieb:
>
>> Currently have a Canon S200. Works well except in lowlight/indoor situations
>> and sometimes a bit slow from off to shoot. Time to upgrade. This is what I
>> need:
>> 1. Pocketable - must be able to fit in my pants pocket.
>> 2. Lowlight performance/good flash - restaurant, bar, night situations
>> 3. Fast - point and shoot with minimal lag
>> 4. $300 - plus or minus
>> 5. Good movie recording (for a dc of course)
>>
>> Here's a list I've researched soo far:
>> Canon S410 - I have extra batteries and CP cards.
>> Fuji F440 - I hear this is a fast camera.
>> Olympus Stylus 410 - Weather proof is a nice feature.
>> Kodak CX7530 - AA batteries, 5mp, low price
>> Pentax S50 - Nice size but how's the flash?
>> Casia EX-Z50 - Looks good overall.
>> Fuji E550 - Best overall except will it fit in my pocket?
>>
>> Which is best for taking to clubs/bars/restaurants?

And there's also the Nikon Coolpix 3700
!