My build, please help

G

Hi guys im thinking of getting a new pc as my old pc has stopped working. The pc will be used mainly for word processing, streaming video and for my son to play world of warcraft (alot).

These are the componants I have put together with the links to novatech incase you need more details:

Processor
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core 2.8GHz Socket AM3 - OEM
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/processors/amdathlonx2andx4/AMD/X4630OEM.html

Motherboard
Asus M4A78LT-M AMD 760G (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/motherboards/amdam3amdchipsetmotherboards/Asus/M4A78LT-M.html

Hard Drive
Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive <8.9ms 7200rpm - OEM
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/harddrives-internal/sata500gbto1tb/Samsung/HD103SJ.html

Ram
Novatech 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/memory-pc/ddr3-pc3-10666/1333mhz/Novatech/RAM-313334.html

Case
Novatech Galaxy III Case With 450w PSU.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/cases/cases/Novatech/GALAXY3.html

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit DVD - OEM
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/software/operatingsystems/Microsoft/GFC-00599GFC-00977.html

This all adds up to about £350 which is about $550

I have chosen not to buy a cd/dvd drive as i plan on using my old one, i will update it later on. I would like to know whether all of these componants work together and if there is anything i have missed. Also i would be very greatful for any advice you could offer in terms of cheaper components i could use instead of the ones i have chosen (i am on a small budget and this is a little expensive).

Please give any advice you can as this is my first build and i am a complete novice at building computers

Thanks in advance for any advice
Scott

G

oh thanks! I didnt even notice that, any advice on a video card all their names seem identical to me :(

Hmmm...nice built..
As for the GPU, I would like to recommend a GTX460 as it is the best price/performance at this moment.

Some words for the PSU :
1. 460W is either to tight for GTX460 or even not enough. This depends on the quality of the PSU.
2. The brand Novatech is relatively not well known for its PSUs. I recommend to get one from these brands : Corsair, Antec, PPC, Enermax, Tagan, Silverstone, or Seasonic. Change the case if necessary.
3. 500-550W should do the trick for a single GTX460. Don't forget to choose the one with at least 2 PCIex16 power cables, since a GTX460 needs 2.

ALso, some words to the RAM :
Again, Novatech is not familiar to me in terms of RAM, I recommend to get one of these brands : Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston, Patriot, or Mushkin

G

Thanks for the advice ill have a look and change the brands, also thank you for the advice on the graphics card but the gtx460 is out of my budget at the moment, is there a cheaper alternative i could use that would be good enough for what i wish to do? i would upgrade to the gtx460 in a month or two

G

Thanks again for the help, would u suggest dropping to 2gb of ram and investing in a better graphics card instead?

G

guanyu210379, I was really hoping to keep the price around the £300 mark in total, like i said i will be adding to it slowly but money is tight at the moment

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Well your computer will function for everything but gaming as it is now. Tell your son he will have to wait until more money comes in to get a better graphics card. At which time I'd buy the 460 1 GB.

G

ok thanks again, i will try to get the price down by shopping around for the parts, and if not he will have to wait :)

Hmm...budget is your main issue here..
-The mobo you have chosen has an onboard graphic. I think you can live with that untill you have enough money to get a good GPU.
-Lowering the proc to X3 440 is also an extra option to keep your budget low.
-Having only 2GB RAM and upgrade later is also an option.
-How about your old HDD? Can you still salvage it?
- Do you really have to buy the Win7? How about your old XP?

BTW:
Suddenly something poped into my mind.
what is your old PC spec? How is the condition? We just know it is broken but, how bad and what are the symptomps?

G

im not really sure what happened but it was a dell dimension 2521. It just stopped working one day, wouldnt turn the moniter on. as for windows xp, i didnt get a disk with my computer. Ive tried putting the hdd in another computer to see if it will run xp but it says i need to activate xp and that its counterfit when i try.

2521 oe E521? I can not find 2521 anywhere on google.
I believe yours is the E521.
Stop working ? Fan still turns? Any beeps?
I believe you can still salvage at least the HDD.
I stil have the feeling that you can still salvage also the proc and RAM.
I assume also that only the mobo (onboard graphic) and/or the PSU is dead, the rest ýou can salvage.

Is there a chance also that your monitor is dead instead of the pc?

About the xp thing, perhaps it can recognize if it is not on Dells, or perhaps it is just only the genuine recognition failures (already nown problem).

G

the fan still works, it seems to start up fine but then a series of numbered lights flash on the front (to fast to recall) and it dies, it doesnt turn off but it goes almost silent

E521 specs :
AMD X2, NForce 430 chipset with the AM2 socket
DDR2 533
Onboard graphics most possible but the non-onboard version was also available.
305W PSU
up to 320GB HDD
The rest is usual stuffs.

Is that your E521?

X2 4200 and onboard graphic I assume...
Hmmm...I guess it has only 1GB RAM...
hmmm....just throw everything and buy new stuffs then..

OK, I will wrap this thing up :
X3 440 is enough for your need but X4 635 is also OK.
G.Skill 4GB RAM DDR3
Use old HDD
use old case
Asus M4A78LT-M AMD 760G
Corsair 550W
Win7 x64 Home premium

Just live with your new onboard GPU untill you have enough money to get a better one. the same is valid for your HDD.

G

thank you very much, i will follow your instructions :)

you really have been very helpful