Monitor blacks out after gaming for some time?

iggybug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I have an Intel Core 2 Quad with 4 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce9600 on Windows 7 Ultimate. Lately when I'm playing games the monitor would go off and show the "digital", "analog" like you just turned it on without the CPU. However, the CPU is still running. The speakers would also put out stuck sounds of the game. This problem didn't occurred until I played Civilization V and Starcraft 2, and now all my games have the same problem, except those that uses little graphics. I have tried reinstalling and formatting my windows, but the same thing happens when I play World of Warcraft, after 2 hours of gameplay. Can someone help? I have updated all my drivers to the latest version.

iggybug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

I don't have a slot on my motherboard for me to plug in my monitor

iggybug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

I got OCCT but have no idea how to use it. Can you tell me what test to run and how to do it?

Configue it 1st so it monitors your cpu and gpu temps.

1003096t.jpg

Then press the green GO button to run for 1 hr and monitor your temps.
If it passes your CPU and RAM should be pretty stable.

Yes, choose built in as you monitoring and all the info will be in the drop down boxes, core 0,1 etc.
It should detect your gpu temp and voltages also.

Once you have filled up the boxes when you return to the 1st screen they will all be in the boxes.

iggybug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

OK, I chose "built-it" and click OK in the settings screen, then go back tp the CPU: OCCT and click Run, but after 3 mins it says CPU too hot and shows a folder full of graphs

suteck

Distinguished
Would you list your system specs? mobo brand and model. cpu, cpu heatsink, memory brand and size and amount you have on board, PSU. Are you overclocking the cpu or gpu? Too hot for the cpu means your cpu cooler isn't working correctly or it's not up to the task. The internal temp of the case might be shutting down the video card. When you have occt up on the screen and it's just sitting on the home page what does it say your gpu temp is? It's listed right under the cpu core temps.

iggybug

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

Mobo Model: GIGABYTE EP45-DS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
heatsink: not sure
memory brand: Micro Tech. ITC
memory size: 4 GB
PSU: not sure
gpu temp = 66

What is the max temp set to in occt (at the top of the configue page) and in the bios (shutdown temp)

The max temp for your cpu is 71.4C so under heavy load under 80C is advisable.

Set the bios shutdown temp to 80C and the occt shutdown temp to 80C and try again.

Watch it for a few mins, if the temp just flies straight up and shuts down try re-applying your thermal paste.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

I'm not saying this is the root cause of your problems but your cpu shouldn't be getting that hot anyway.
You just need a very small amount of paste, see instructions, and a good clean.
Are you using the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu?

Also you need to list your psu make and model.

suteck

Distinguished
It sounds like you're having a heat problem. First off - beanoslim is correct in the cpu recommended operating temp, and also that you can run it hotter. Running it hotter tends to reduce the life expectancy of the chip but not by much if you only go to ~80*C. OCCT's normal default shutdown temp for the CPU test is 80*C (if you check those charts the first and second ones will show you the cpu core that reach 80*C), so you're already hitting that mark if it shuts down due to CPU temp like you said - unless you already adjusted that, which I doubt. First thing to check on is the fan for the cpu heatsink. Is it running when you turn the computer on? Is it running at full speed? You can check that in bios under hardware monitor. It will give you the fan speed and cpu temps at the same time. It probably is but you should check it just in case. You can try removing, cleaning off the thermal paste and re-seating the processor with a new application of thermal paste, it could help some. If that don't cut it, sounds like it's time to get a new heatsink. One of the reasons the cpu heatsink is so important is that if it lets the cpu get hot then that heat sticks around in the case, which causes all the other parts to get hot and increases the heat that much more. Look to see how much room you have in the case and let us know so we can recommend different heatsinks if you want to try that. The reason we suggest that is because it has been working in the past and recently started doing this so something probably wore out.

If your video card, (what brand and model is it?) is 66*C at idle, which is higher than normal, the best way to cool that down is to increase the air flow through your case. But first, check the card and make sure the cooling fan is running, (if it has one). If it's not than it's time for a new card. If so then try some case fans. Add some additional fan(s) to the front and back to push/pull air through the case faster keeping it cooler. This will help some with the processor as well and should be the first thing you try. Pull the side off while running and see if the temps come down some and how much. If it's even 5* the extra case fans are probably a good idea. What case do you have? Just wondering what size fans to recommend. What is the ambient temp in the room?

TRENDING THREADS