BigBobT

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I have a M4A785T-M motherboard. My problem is with the appropriate DDR3 RAM to place in the memory slots. According to the User Manual I can configure up to 16G of RAM with 4G RAM BOARDS. The problem is that I can't get an answer from anyone as to what RAM I need for this. The manual is outdated and does not set a configuration for 16G even though it informs the user that the maximum for this board is 16G. Help!!!!!!

Solution
Asus is not very customer oriented but you could e-mail their tech support to find out if you need a BIOS update for better compatibility with available memory.

Not all DDR3 RAM works in all Mobos... Corsair and other RAM suppliers have an online RAM selector based on the Mobo model. That should help you select RAM that has been tested to work on your specific model Mobo. Always buy a MATCHED SET, not individual DIMMs as individual DIMMs are not guaranteed to work in multiple units like a tested, matched DIMM set.

Page 1-12 of your OM shows that you can use up to 4 Gb. DIMMS and the various speeds supported. Since you only have (4) DIMM slots you obviously would need to buy a matched set of 4 x 4 Gb. DIMMS for your specific Mobo model...

beenthere

Distinguished
Asus is not very customer oriented but you could e-mail their tech support to find out if you need a BIOS update for better compatibility with available memory.

Not all DDR3 RAM works in all Mobos... Corsair and other RAM suppliers have an online RAM selector based on the Mobo model. That should help you select RAM that has been tested to work on your specific model Mobo. Always buy a MATCHED SET, not individual DIMMs as individual DIMMs are not guaranteed to work in multiple units like a tested, matched DIMM set.

Page 1-12 of your OM shows that you can use up to 4 Gb. DIMMS and the various speeds supported. Since you only have (4) DIMM slots you obviously would need to buy a matched set of 4 x 4 Gb. DIMMS for your specific Mobo model to have 16 Gb. When using all DIMM slots most Mobos revert to the default RAM speed to match the CPU so there is little point in buying faster RAM than what you need to match your CPU.

http://charon.bdeb.qc.ca/docs/hardware/motherboard/E4903_M4A785T-M.pdf

Solution
Generally if your at 1.5v (stock voltage for DDR3) you should be okay. Not always the case, but generally that is usually the most limiting part of RAM. I found some reviews at Newegg, so go over there and look for yourself. DDR3 1600 seems to work fine (G.Skill Sniper) as per this review:
Pros: Smooth install-No Problems-Fired it up and showd 16 GB Ram at post w/no bios update-Seems rock solid after running 3 days straight

Cons: nadda

Other Thoughts: My Build-Themaltake V9 case-Amd Phenom IIx4 955 CPU-Ultra Chilltec cooler-G Skill Sniper DDR3 PC 1600 Ram-Sapphire HD 5830 GPU-Themaltake TR2 RX 750w PSU-Asus DVD Burner-WD 1000GB HHD

Here is the link to the mobo on Newegg

BigBobT

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thanks for your Input, I am looking at Corsair Website for memory to MB match up. I appreciate your input.
BigBobT

BigBobT

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.