Killing doubt about Case!

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello mates!

I´m encountering difficulties to decide between two Cases, to replace my old one, in which i have my i7 rig. The latter has an awful Air Flow and is engendering some temperature problems. One may say that these two cases I´m about to mention can´t be compared, because they are from "different classes", if I´m not mistaken. However, I shall explain after I introduce them:

CM 690 II Advanced
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6638

Elite 430 Black
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654

First off, I live in Brazil, therefore, I will present the prices only by "brazilian bucks", not very concerned about exchanging rates. What is really important is the delta variation between the prices.

CM 690 II Advanced - 280 bucks
Elite 430 Black - 144 bucks

Considering that the 430 Black just comes with 1x120mm Fan, I would need to buy, at least, more 2 fans, one 140mm to put on the front and using the 120mm that comes in that position on the rear, and one 120mm to put on the top. I will get NZXT FN 120RB and NZXT FN 140RB. I know that there are better ones out there, but lets keep it simple for the sake of illustration. So, the price of Elite 430 Black + 2 Fans would be 192 bucks.

I´m not a overclocker, but I was also thinking about getting a new cpu cooler, due to the temperatures I´m getting lately. After searching the forums I decided to go with the Hyper 212 Plus, which costs 94 bucks. Doing some math, we can get to the conclusion that:

$$ Elite 430 Black + 2 Fans + Hyper 212 Plus ~= $$ CM 690 II Advanced (I meant approximately equal with the ~= thing, lol)

If I buy the 690II Adv plus the Hyper 212+ I would spend 374 bucks!!

The specs of these 2 cases are both good. I am wondering what I would loose chosing the Elite 430 over the 690II Adv, and if these differences can justify the extra money! I really taking into account the price and what I can get with the same money I would spend with the CM 690II.

But my fear is that I´m not getting a proper (mainly the Air Flow aspect) case for my rig, and for a future update of it.

What you guys think? This is really killing me!

My rig:

I7 920 stock
Asus P6T
3gb DDR3 1333Mhz Corsairs XMS3
Xfx Hd4870 1gb
Corsair TX 650W
500gb Seagate

Thanks in advance!

If you are not overclocking or running near 100% CPU utilizaiton for extended perionds, then stock CPU cooling is fine. The Hyper 212 is a good cooler, but will not drop your temps a considerable ammount if not OCing.

The Elite 430 comes with two 120MM fans (front and rear). At most you would need to add one more, but you may be fine with just the two case fans included. This is a fine case and the one I would choose for an upgrade.

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Well, to the best of my knowledge the 430 comes only with the front 120mm fan!

Mate, the Antec 300 is really hard to find here, and those which I have found got really abusives prices! The cheaper I saw was 270 bucks!

Regarding the 430 case fans...

From http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6654 ...
•Front 120mm fan with brilliant Blue LED provides the best airflow to HDDs.
•Rear 120mm fan for high-efficiency ventilation.

...and from NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&Tpk=coolermaster%20430 ...
-Front 120mm fan with brilliant Blue LED provides the best airflow to HDDs.
-Rear 120mm fan for high-efficiency ventilation.

....however under "Cooling System" it only lists "1 x 120mm front blue LED fan". Interesting. I believe it comes with two fans, but IMHO it is still the better option even if you have to pick up an additional 120mm fan.

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
sadams04

It´s indeed odd that on cooler master´ site is written that. I checked some video reviews, and it unfortunately it only comes with one 120mm fan!

Thank you for the input mate! I am really considering the 430 Elite, however, I need some more opinions about the issue! :D

Wow, how expensive is the Antec 300.

I think the CM 430 Elite will be a fine case with plenty of airflow options.

I don't know what the conversion rate is and I don't want to upset you but its £32 in the UK, heres the spec-

Cooling System Top: 120 mm fan x 2 (not included)
Front: 120 mm blue LED fan x 1,140 mm fan x 1 (120mm included)
Rear: 80/90/120 mm fan x1 (not included)
Side: 120 mm fan x 1 (not included)
Bottom:80/90/120 mm fan x1 (not included)

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
beanoslim

Yeah, Brazil got some unbelievables taxes! I get upset just thinking about it, hahahah!

£1,00 = R$2,589

Hence,

£32 = R$82,85

Even considering the exchange rate, it is cheaper, of course!

Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Interesting! Until now, nobody has voted for the CM 690 II Adv.

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Yeah, here in Brazil is the same! Double the price!

Its quite difficult to decide now. Some people told me to def. get the 690 II, because its worth the extra (even if its the double, hahaha).

But if i get the 690 II, i´m not getting the Hyper 212+ so soon!

If i get the 430, would I be restricted to future updates? Mainly due to the fact that Vgas are getting longer and longer (which, theoretically should be the opposite).

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi sullmetal... happy 2011...

I just finished writing a recommendation for a similar query on Elite 430... interesting...

Anyways the Elite 430 is a great case minus these two points
1. No CPU backplate window
2. No cable management at the back

The 690 II has all these plus whatever the 430 is offering (except the price LOL!!!)... If it were to me i would go for the 690 II anytime of the day... and s sadams04 said if no serious OC then stick with the stock cooler (provided its not noisy)... otherwise if you are looking to go for a cooler now or later dont go for Hyper 212+... its good for all processors except i7 9XX cpu's...

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
abully

Thanks for the insight mate. Happy 2011 to you as well!

I know it´s not the proper section of the forum, but just out of curiosity, what cooler would you recommend, keeping the same price range? I´ve already looked out for the XIGMATEK Dark Knight, however didn´t find any back here in Brazil!

Could cable management screw up so bad the air flow efficiency that it´s worth spending the "extra" , which is almost another 430 elite?

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Last thing first... Yes, cables dangling around does interfere with airflow... If they are fastened to the backplate with tie clips then its cool... The 690 II is a much advanced case than 430... it pretty much future proofs you for a few years... would you believe my last one lasted me for 5 years before i decided to get another solid case for the next 5 years...

List out what coolers you do have in Brazil and within your price range... then i can recommend you the best of them...

skullmetal

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hey mates!

Thanks for the advices, they were of great help!

So... I ended up buying the CM 690 II Advanced

This thing is a monster compared to my old case! And, wow, its quiet! (despite my hd4870 cooler, which is annoyingly making a strange sound, gonna check it later)

I had some 3~4ºC drop in Idle. Haven´t tested with load yet, tomorrow I´m doing it!

When I have time, I´ll take some pictures and upload them!

I´m planning to get more 2 or 3 fans. 2x120mm (side) and 1x140mm (top). Although, I think 2x140mm instead of those 2x120mm will be better, won´t it? What you guys think??

Will my PSU handle more 3 fans?

abully

I´m doing a topic about cpu coolers in the right section of this forum. I think it will be better this way!