Your question

What graphics card should I chose?

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2010 1:11:41 PM

Hy everyone,

My current pc is an:
Intel Core i3 530
MSI H55M-E33
2x2Gb Kingston value ram @1333MHz (no need to specify they are DDR3)
and some random HDD (7200rpm, 32mb cache), well vented case (5x12cm fans), PSU Arctic Cooling Fusion 550R

I want to ask you what kind of cooler should I put on the i3 because stock is too noisy...something around 70$...how well performs scythe? and should I pay extra attention to the 1156socket layout (I heard it's not perfectly leveled)?

The second thing...and it's in the title... what graphics card could I buy or should I wait?
Honestly I prefer something silent and at maximum of 230$
I thought of the MSI 460 GTX Cyclone 1GB......
*before this I had a Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X 1GB(sold it) but Direct X 11 is coming fast and 1080p displays are getting cheaper...(it was a pleasure to see games @ ultra high settings without a fps drop at 1248*1024...but times passing....)
I don't think of returning to ATI.......
For physx do I have to run a 460 and another card from nvidia or can I run the game with physx enabled trough the 460GTX (maybe some miracles from FERMI)?

Thanks for your responses,
Firion

More about : graphics card chose

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 1:57:33 PM

You can run PhysX on one GPU, and the CPU can actually handle it as well. You won't see a huge increase in performance with PhysX, but it won't bog down your card either.

I have 2 GTX 460s, and one handles PhysX but is not dedicated to it. Before that I had one 460 and a 9800GT (dedicated to PhysX) and saw no significant increase in performance from just the 460 handling PhysX.

I would also consider the EVGA External Exhaust GTX 460; the exhaust style keeps your GPU and other components cooler than a regular fan. I purchased that version with the Lifetime Warranty.
October 4, 2010 2:19:50 PM

the msi gtx 460 hawk is also good, linus OCd it past 5870 levels and was comparing it to a gtx 480, just 1 question why did you go for an i3? for budget gaming builds amd is always better i wouldnt go for an i3, intel only starts winning from the i5 750/760 onwards
Related resources
October 4, 2010 2:44:30 PM

how noisy are these cards...external exhaust isn't known for being the most silent solution? I'm not crazy about physx but there were a few games where my old Phenom II x2 slowed down.
October 4, 2010 2:52:03 PM

sir philus said:
the msi gtx 460 hawk is also good, linus OCd it past 5870 levels and was comparing it to a gtx 480, just 1 question why did you go for an i3? for budget gaming builds amd is always better i wouldn't go for an i3, intel only starts winning from the i5 750/760 onwards

well as I sad before. I had a phenom II X2 550BE very disappointing...even with the core i3 with stock cooling increased the graphic performance with almost 10fps on the 4870..... many friends "kicked my a**" with they're weaker (on paper) intel&nvidia machines at almost the same price.......until now it proved quite ok but I'm not expecting to go up to 1080p gaming with this configuration....

yes, msi hawk is at first place...but it quite kills my budget...there's still a need for a better cpu cooler
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 7:11:28 PM

FirionRAzar said:
how noisy are these cards...external exhaust isn't known for being the most silent solution? I'm not crazy about physx but there were a few games where my old Phenom II x2 slowed down.

The stock settings aren't loud (I can't hear them over my case fans), but I am overclocking at 850MHz and have the fans manually set to 55%, which produces noticeable noise. If you're gaming, it probably won't distract you, but it gets annoying as ambient noise.
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 7:38:25 PM

Any decent cooler will be better than the stock cooler under load. I suggest a large tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan. Something like the Xigmatek dark night at $45:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There are others; you don't need to spend $70, particularly for a 32nm 530 which runs relatively cool. There are others <$40, any will do

Your 4870 was somewhat comparable to the GTX460. If you expect to see much improvement, I suggest a GTX470, or you might be disappointed.

At the $230 price point, the GTX460 is about as good as you can do. But, add in some savings on the cooler, and a GTX470 might be doable. It is the most important factor for good performance. Particularly at higher resolutions, like 1920.

Several cards, like the MSI cyclone have nice coolers that do a good job of getting the heat off of the gpu die. Unfortunately, they just dump the hot air back into the case where case cooling has to get rid of it. This hot air heats up the air needed to cool both the gpu AND the CPU. In my experience, this will raise both temperatures by about 5c. For that reason, I recommend the direct exhaust type coolers.

Sorry, I have no experience with Physx; how important is that to your games?

October 4, 2010 9:22:19 PM

Quote:
scrap the i3 go for i5, if not then go amd..

Just bought it.....can't sell it..would be a financial disaster. The Cpu works pretty well and as someone sad above...it runs pretty cool even with the stock cooler. For now I'm not returning to AMD, that was a complete financial disaster for me. The Athlon X2 5000+ I had before was great (with Arctic Cooling Freezer 64Pro) but the Phenom wasn't the monster I've expected (i3 beats it easily at a minimal price difference)
October 4, 2010 9:32:00 PM

Now the ugly truth about me and my favorite games.......why physx?...does anybody know the Farming Simulator 2008, 2009 and the upcoming 2011? Yes....it is a stupid way of wasting time but very sensible on physx and It's the only title running on my pc for more than 3 years(thanks to the countless mods)...everything else goes only for 1-3 runs to finish the game and follows the trashcan (or friends game collection)

other titles were batman arkham assylum, mirrors edge and some shooter I'm not willing to count where physx adds some eyecandy or should have added some effects (the original plan was last year to have the phenom I x2 550BE unlocked, 4870 for games, Sapphire motherboard had 2 pci-e slots adding something like a 240 or 9800 for physx with some hacked drivers...but all this didn't worked....had some article some time ago at this forum -> "my gaming pc doesn't rock...what can I save" so I sold all those parts and I'm trying a different approach)
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 4, 2010 9:47:03 PM

FirionRAzar said:
Now the ugly truth about me and my favorite games.......why physx?...does anybody know the Farming Simulator 2008, 2009 and the upcoming 2011? Yes....it is a stupid way of wasting time but very sensible on physx and It's the only title running on my pc for more than 3 years(thanks to the countless mods)...everything else goes only for 1-3 runs to finish the game and follows the trashcan (or friends game collection)

Here is a physix faq that might help.
In summary, physix can run on any current nvidia card, taking only a part of it if you have only one card.
You could add almost any weak current card to use it as a dedicated card for physix, leaving your main card for graphics processing.

If you want a very replayable game, try Civilization. I liked civ2, and civ4, playing it for years. Civ5 is new, and I am not so sure about that.
October 4, 2010 10:11:20 PM

2196052,11,120121 said:
Here is a physix faq that might help.
In summary, physix can run on any current nvidia card, taking only a part of it if you have only one card.
You could add almost any weak current card to use it as a dedicated card for physix, leaving your main card for graphics processing.

Too bad my actual motherboard doesn't have 2 pci-e slots....maybe a nvidia 8400 card for a pci slot might work beside the 460?
http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Grafikkarte/EVGA/8...

but I don't think this is worth it....

UPDATE: well the idea of a pci based card is trash...because 8400 seems to be as high as it goes..and physx seems to be on the site of nvidia ready only for GPU's starting with the 8600...interesting that on the site from evga 8400 seems tobe physx ready

October 5, 2010 9:24:24 AM

i suggest that you dont run behind physx, it may improve your experience with games but not all that significantly, yes there are some games like batman arkham asylum, which make good use of physx, if play shooter games, there wont be any difference.
You shouldnt die for physx
October 5, 2010 11:19:22 AM

dragon5677 said:
i suggest that you dont run behind physx, it may improve your experience with games but not all that significantly, yes there are some games like batman arkham asylum, which make good use of physx, if play shooter games, there wont be any difference.
You shouldnt die for physx

so I still should go "only" for one graphics card like the gtx 460?
October 5, 2010 2:24:18 PM

Quote:
yes.
sli them later if mobo permits..

sorry...mentioned up above the model of my motherboard..and I sad that it doesn't have a second pci-e slot....so sli is no option....it was on purpose....2 cards mean excessive heat, cost, noise and power drain
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 5, 2010 2:33:20 PM

FirionRAzar said:
so I still should go "only" for one graphics card like the gtx 460?

With your motherboard, you can only use one good video card with one x16 slot.
It is possible to add a second, using a pci slot, but such a card will cost about $50, and it would be much better to use those $ to step up to a GTX470.
As I read the faq, physx will use 32 cores for it's purposes.
The GTX460 has 336, the GTX470 has 448. If you activate physx, you will be using <10% of the card's capacity. It may or may not be worth it to use physx, but you will have a choice.

If you care about game performance, get the best card you feel comfortable paying for. If you get a GTX460, I suggest getting the EVGA version. They have a 90 day "step up" program where you can apply your GTX460 purchase price towards a faster card within 90 days.
October 5, 2010 2:42:25 PM

Quote:
makes sense.
at least you know what you want..
that's half the process.

well I say thanks at this point and take it as a compliment...but even last time I know what I wanted..and it ended in a disaster.......there are many criteria based on "what am I going to do with that pc" and lots of companies are promising: tech support, "my technology is the best", long lifespan of components.... things like that.... and it is quite hard o find the perfect solution using as less money as necessary....

That's the reason why I'm posting here and asking different questions...because last time I didn't and relied on comparing companies, they're products and raw benchmarks......
!