Sign in with
Your question

I5 cpu over heating

Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:52:54 PM

I have installed a new I5 processor in a new computer I am building. I was able to install Vista 32 bit. Problem is when I start the computer the cpu temp goes right to 98c degrees in 3-4 minutes. So I shut down right away. If I don't shut down the comp shuts itself down.

Case: Cooler Master 690II advanced.
PS: Corsair tx650w
Mobo: Intel DP55KG
Memory: Corsair Dominator 4GB 2X2GB DDR3

I'm using the Cooler that came with the Intel Chip but it seems pretty low grade unit. Should I invest in a better Cooler or would I just be wasting $ at this time. How can I get the Temp down on this thing.
Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : cpu heating

a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 1:55:28 PM

I think you might need a new fan and/or new cooler or something is wrong with your bios..I dont remember if the temp sensor should be on the mobo or on the cpu(please remind me).That is my account.
There are many brands of cpu thermal paste.
artic silver is one that i definitely recommend
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 2:31:07 PM

Stock or not it shouldn't get that hot.
Sounds like you may have too much thermal paste on your chip, have a llok at this guide.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Give your cpu and heatsink a good clean, remove the pad if it had one and re-apply some fresh paste.

Also have you got Speedstep or Q Fan enabled?
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2010 3:48:04 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I think you might need a new fan and/or new cooler or something is wrong with your bios..I dont remember if the temp sensor should be on the mobo or on the cpu(please remind me).That is my account.
There are many brands of cpu thermal paste.
artic silver is one that i definitely recommend

I'll try the Artic Silver thermal paste, but I think I will purchase a new cooler this week and go from there. I may even have damaged the current fan/cooler when I first installed it. I guess I didn't relize how critical the thermal paste was and what effect not getting this step right can have on the whole job. I'm just afraid of toasting the CPU. I guess I need to slow down. Thanks for your suggestions.
m
l
December 31, 2010 3:52:27 PM

beanoslim said:
Stock or not it shouldn't get that hot.
Sounds like you may have too much thermal paste on your chip, have a llok at this guide.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Give your cpu and heatsink a good clean, remove the pad if it had one and re-apply some fresh paste.

Also have you got Speedstep or Q Fan enabled?

Thanks,
I will check out that website.
Not sure about Speedstep or Q. Where would I find them in bios?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 4:28:00 PM

I doubt you will have damaged the cooler.
I would re-install the stock cooler 1st, if you aren't overclocking it should be fine.
Too much paste can cause very erratic temps.

Theres no way that cpu should be anywhere near those temps with the stock cooler, any thermal paste will do if you have some and if you haven't got any cleaner just wipe it off with tissue and cotten buds.

The Speedstep and Q Temps are in your bios somewhere.
Google them for an explanation of what they do.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
December 31, 2010 4:51:26 PM

Sounds like you haven't pressed the cooler posts firmly down on the MoBo resulting in inadequate contact pressure. You should under no circumstances see these kind of temps with a stock cooler w/o any OC.
m
l
January 1, 2011 3:44:49 PM

beanoslim said:
I doubt you will have damaged the cooler.
I would re-install the stock cooler 1st, if you aren't overclocking it should be fine.
Too much paste can cause very erratic temps.

Theres no way that cpu should be anywhere near those temps with the stock cooler, any thermal paste will do if you have some and if you haven't got any cleaner just wipe it off with tissue and cotten buds.

The Speedstep and Q Temps are in your bios somewhere.
Google them for an explanation of what they do.

Thanks beanoslim. I reinstalled the cooler fan with some new paste. This time I made sure the fan was seated right and now the CPU is 54C. at idle.
m
l
January 1, 2011 3:48:07 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Sounds like you haven't pressed the cooler posts firmly down on the MoBo resulting in inadequate contact pressure. You should under no circumstances see these kind of temps with a stock cooler w/o any OC.

You were exactly right. I reinstalled the cooler and this time made sure the fan was seated right. This brought the cpu temp down to 54c.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 4:43:32 PM

rongoff said:
Thanks beanoslim. I reinstalled the cooler fan with some new paste. This time I made sure the fan was seated right and now the CPU is 54C. at idle.

54C idle still seems high, whats it like under load?

Did you thoroughly clean everything and use just a small amount of paste?
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:51:08 PM

beanoslim said:
54C idle still seems high, whats it like under load?

Did you thoroughly clean everything and use just a small amount of paste?

Yes I did clean things real good. I agree 54c does sound high. It probably should be in the 30s or 40s at idle?

I haven't really put a load on it yet cause I'm a bit nervous about damaging the CPU.

I think I damaged one of the fan/cooler posts the first time I installed it so this week I'm going to invest in a better coolerthen I'll push it.

Is it okay to run this thig at 50 to 60C for a few days?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 7:27:45 PM

Should be fine, how much can you spend on a cooler?
m
l
!