Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Macbook pro and dell u2711

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 9:06:26 AM

Iv'e finally lost my tether with PC's and large file photo editing and have invested in a MB pro and a Dell U2711 monitor.

independent of each other they work great. The monitor is fantastic at 2560 x 1440, but I can only achieve this when wired up to my work PC which simply required a new graphics card to achieve the native resolution.

Why cant I get this when its hooked up to my Mac Book Pro. I have two mini display port adapters, one to DVI and one to HDMI and tried both to no avail. Advise someone please, I'm desperate to start editing some big pics on this monitor.

More about : macbook pro dell u2711

a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 8:24:25 PM

Maybe the video card in the macbook pro, doesn't support that resolution.
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 8:26:36 PM

daship said:
Maybe the video card in the macbook pro, doesn't support that resolution.


This is more then likely the problem.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 8:59:20 PM

It better support that resolution, because apple sells a 2560 x 1440 27" display. On the apple website, there is a picture of a MB pro connected to it...
http://www.apple.com/displays/
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 9:06:48 PM

Yeah you're right, even if he has the worst GPU for a MacBook Pro thats a 320M, (I figured there were more then 5 variations of the MacBookPro) which should support that resolution.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 9:09:28 PM

Will it let you use a lower resolution? I'm not saying you should forever just wondering
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 22, 2010 10:59:04 AM

Quote:
Iv'e finally lost my tether with PC's and large file photo editing and have invested in a MB pro and a Dell U2711 monitor.

independent of each other they work great. The monitor is fantastic at 2560 x 1440, but I can only achieve this when wired up to my work PC which simply required a new graphics card to achieve the native resolution.

Why cant I get this when its hooked up to my Mac Book Pro. I have two mini display port adapters, one to DVI and one to HDMI and tried both to no avail. Advise someone please, I'm desperate to start editing some big pics on this monitor.



UPDATE the native on the dell is 2560 x 1440. the MBPro supports 2560 x 1600 on an external display. The adapter that seems to be the one to use apparently is the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A?mco=MTI2OTA1...

However, having already spent a few quid on 2 adapters that dont work, even though it was an Apple shop that advised me to get them, I'm a little reluctant to blow another 70quid on an another piece of kit thats not right for the job. any thoughts anyone?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2010 10:23:25 PM

Quote:
UPDATE the native on the dell is 2560 x 1440. the MBPro supports 2560 x 1600 on an external display. The adapter that seems to be the one to use apparently is the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A?mco=MTI2OTA1...

However, having already spent a few quid on 2 adapters that dont work, even though it was an Apple shop that advised me to get them, I'm a little reluctant to blow another 70quid on an another piece of kit thats not right for the job. any thoughts anyone?



Apparently, a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable should be all you need, although the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter would also work but costing around 3x4 times more in price.
!