Will This Fan Fit? Thoughts of Overclocking!

NorthernBurbs

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi,
Im planning on Building a computer For Gaming and i've never built a computer before. Im only 15 and hopefully by Christmas/November i can get to build it. I would hate to Order all my Parts and have something not compatible.
Im Planning to build an Amd based computer using the Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X Mobo
With a Amd Phenom x4 970 3.5Ghz Cpu
Will a Zalman Cnps9700 Fit? Im confused on how to put it on because it comes with 2 Mounting brackets and im guessing one if for the Back of the Mobo? but on the Back of the Mobo is this Black Plate? How would i install it if it is compatible, take that piece off or just mount the top part of the Cooler.

If you want to know any other parts of the Build i plan on making just ask and thanks to Anyone who tries to help me.

Links:
Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510
Cpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103894
HSF- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

Solution
Honesty, unless you are planning on doing a bunch of gaming / overclocking your CPU, the stock cooler that come with it will probably work fine.

That being said, as you go thru the documentation for buying the cooler, you should look for the specifics for your intended AMD / Intel cpu.

MOST newer cpu fans have the brackets for both (and a couple variations for each i.e. LGA 775,1155,1156,1366). Even if the correct bracket is not in the box, there is an available modification one for sale for almost ALL of the more popular coolers.

Zalman - being huge in coolers - will almost undoubtedly have everything you need so long as the cooler included a listing for your cpu (and likely parts for about every other type cpu available).

BE...

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Honesty, unless you are planning on doing a bunch of gaming / overclocking your CPU, the stock cooler that come with it will probably work fine.

That being said, as you go thru the documentation for buying the cooler, you should look for the specifics for your intended AMD / Intel cpu.

MOST newer cpu fans have the brackets for both (and a couple variations for each i.e. LGA 775,1155,1156,1366). Even if the correct bracket is not in the box, there is an available modification one for sale for almost ALL of the more popular coolers.

Zalman - being huge in coolers - will almost undoubtedly have everything you need so long as the cooler included a listing for your cpu (and likely parts for about every other type cpu available).

BE SURE YOU PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION IN FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS WHEN APPLYING THE CONDUCTIVE GREASE AS THIS IS CRITICAL IN CREATING AN EFFECTIVE HEAT EXCHANGE PATH TO COOL YOUR CPU.

The stock coolers that are included with the cpu generally have the grease already CORRECTLY applied (so long as you are careful in removing them from the packaging) and so long as you attach the unit per instructions to your cpu you shouldn't have any problems.

Solution

NorthernBurbs

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

I do plan on Gaming and Overclocking. I'm mainly using it for World of Warcraft and a Little bit of Video Editing. When i play World of warcraft im on it from about 1-10hrs so i need to make sure that my Cpu stays Cool when I overclock it. Im Also going to be using an Hdmi to hook up the Display if that has to do with anything.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

HDMI cable usage won't matter at all as far as your system is concerned - the only real difference compared to DVI is HDMI has the added audio channels AND A CONTENT BLOCKER THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM COPYING COPYRIGHTED VIDEOS THRU THE CABLE (called DRM - digital rights management).

To be honest, your Video card is going to be far more taxed here than your cpu as it will do far more processing than the cpu. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is going to be having a sufficient airflow path thru your case.

To start with that means making sure all of the cooling systems are clean of dust. More stuff gets fried due to dust in the works than any thing else.

If you are using a cpu cooler that blows sideways across the cpu verses down onto it, make sure that it blows in a direction that doesn't impede the air flow direction of the case fans - even better if it blows out over one or more other radiators (like the ones on your ram).

In any case, try to arrange things like cables (you can use cable ties to hold them off to one side and bundled to reduce air restrictions), PCI card placement, hard and optical drives, and other parts to maximize air flow over each component and thru the case AND MAKE SURE THE AIR VENTS ARE CLEAR OF OBSTRUCTIONS.

If you are using multiple graphics cards try to place them as far as possible apart...its always best to look for one really good card verses 2 lesser ones as this will mean less heat and power collecting inside your PC.

10 hours of Warcraft isn't going to toast your gear any where near as bad as some of the high graphics 3D combat and or simulator games like Crysis, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, etc.

While video editing is a bit more cpu intensive, you still will not likely seriously overtax the stock cpu cooler - the more expensive the cpu, the better the stock cooler that comes with it.

I bought a fairly decent one (Artic Zero) and have never really needed it and I do CAD with my PC - while watching TV on the second monitor (Hauppage Tuner) using an old MSI 250 GTS 512.

Most people - even wild gamers - never really tax their gear if it is set up properly in the first place and maintained regularly.