Building a computer now vs waiting until Christmas season

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Ok, so I have been diligently doing research and it all boils down to this simple question. How much money can I save and/or how much better tech can I get if I wait until the upcoming christmas season to build a new computer.

Before the more detailed minded posters post, " can't answer without more details.", or, "put your question in this template."

I will answer by mentioning the information necessary for a response:

$1,000-2,000
Buying time based on the information provided in this thread (now or christmas season)
Primary use - gaming

This thread welcomes speculation but facts are welcome as well,

Thanks in advance

Solution
AMD will be releasing 6xxx series the middle of this month: Tom's Article.

So that may likely affect prices of the the 5xxx series. However, nVidia has been doing a pretty good showing with their DX11 series cards, and I don't know how the 6xxx series will affect the nV pricing.

Intel and AMD are coming out with new CPUs shortly (Intel won't be until after the holidays though - early/mid next year). AMD is rolling out the next chips either the end of this year, or early next year, so prices may come down on both sides, but it may not happen until after the holidays.

There is also the consideration of holiday sales, BlackFriday, CyberMonday, and just general holiday sales.

All-in-all, if you can wait until the Holidays, I...

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
AMD will be releasing 6xxx series the middle of this month: Tom's Article.

So that may likely affect prices of the the 5xxx series. However, nVidia has been doing a pretty good showing with their DX11 series cards, and I don't know how the 6xxx series will affect the nV pricing.

Intel and AMD are coming out with new CPUs shortly (Intel won't be until after the holidays though - early/mid next year). AMD is rolling out the next chips either the end of this year, or early next year, so prices may come down on both sides, but it may not happen until after the holidays.

There is also the consideration of holiday sales, BlackFriday, CyberMonday, and just general holiday sales.

All-in-all, if you can wait until the Holidays, I would actually advise it in this instance.

Solution

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Thank you so much for this advise.

Knowing that new chipsets won't be out until next year for Intel is good information. So basically I can work on building a new computer asap and then wait until the 6xxx series comes out to grab myself one of those badboys. :)

Are there any videos anywhere on how to build a computer? That's the last thing I need to know.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm actually waiting for Black Friday (or around then) to upgrade my Video card. And weather I go with nVidia or AMD (formerly known as ATI) with be what's priced where for how much bang I can get.

I built a new system at the end of August and not 1 week after, FOUR of the major parts (932 case, UD3R mobo, 212+ and Coolmax PSU) all dropped in price. But if you wait TOO long for that "perfect" sale, something else will always be on sale and you will never end up actually getting anything.

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
ggsxt there is a video in my signature that shows one of Tom's user's building his PC. There is also a text walk through on Tom's forums: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

The text based version has lots and lots of pictures. I would recommend watching the videos (3 of them I believe) and then reading/skimming through the walk-through. After that, you should be all set to go.