Sign in with
Your question

New Edit Machine

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2010 6:54:20 PM

I am currently looking to purchase a new edit system. THe last system was customized through dell. I have been using adobe for years and would like to upgrade my computer. I edit a lot of documentaries that are shot in both Mini DV and some HD. Please let me know where I can find a nice system with a fast processor and plenty of space. Not sure where to start....but my budget is ranging from $1,700 to $2,100 max. PLEASE HELP! Should I be trying to purchase one already configured or trying to get someone to build me one custom. If so then what are the specs. I am an editor not a techie....advice welcomed!

More about : edit machine

October 4, 2010 7:14:27 PM

Unless you are going to be your own tech support, I would suggest you look at the Dell Precision series or the HP Z-series workstations. Both companies offer machines that will fit your needs nicely. If you build a system (or have one built), you are pretty much on your own. Not a criticism, but since you aren't a "techie", it is something to consider.

If you go the Dell route (I am sure HP does as well), look at their outlet.dell.com site. There you can really stretch your money and get a solid system with a full warranty for even less!

Good luck!
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2010 7:48:52 PM

What application are you using to edit video with? Also, what other apps are you using?

What are the specs of the system you are using now, including storage?
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:28:35 PM

I am a loyal adobe user. Right now I am running Premiere Pro but about to upgrade to CS5. I use all adobe products.....Photoshop, After Effects, and Adobe Audition for Audio. Right now I am using a Dell Precision 380 with 232 GB (ARRAY) Local Disk Drive and I have connected a 1 TB Portable Drive that I use to store footage on. I have been using this system for the last 8 years so I definately need an upgrade. Right now I am looking at getting another Dell because it's what I can afford and I don't understand enough of what each part does to custom build a computer and also all of the turn-key systems are out of my price range. Here are the specs of the Dell I am looking to order. Please tell me what you think.

PROCESSORS Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
MEMORY 9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Creator 10 Premier - Ultimate Burn/Authoring edit
SPEAKERS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System edit
KEYBOARD Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse edit
MOUSE Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio edit
MODEM No Modem Option

m
l
October 7, 2010 2:29:58 PM

COLGeek said:
What application are you using to edit video with? Also, what other apps are you using?

What are the specs of the system you are using now, including storage?

I am a loyal adobe user. Right now I am running Premiere Pro but about to upgrade to CS5. I use all adobe products.....Photoshop, After Effects, and Adobe Audition for Audio. Right now I am using a Dell Precision 380 with 232 GB (ARRAY) Local Disk Drive and I have connected a 1 TB Portable Drive that I use to store footage on. I have been using this system for the last 8 years so I definately need an upgrade. Right now I am looking at getting another Dell because it's what I can afford and I don't understand enough of what each part does to custom build a computer and also all of the turn-key systems are out of my price range. Here are the specs of the Dell I am looking to order. Please tell me what you think.

PROCESSORS Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
MEMORY 9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
MONITOR No Monitor edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB Data Security RAID 1 (2 x 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs) edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Creator 10 Premier - Ultimate Burn/Authoring edit
SPEAKERS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System edit
KEYBOARD Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse edit
MOUSE Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package edit
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio edit
MODEM No Modem Option
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:55:56 PM

Nice config. I would consider upgrading to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate vice the Home edition. This will make a more than passable editing workstation. Good luck and have fun!
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:21:09 PM

ok COLGeek one more question......I just got a quote from a company that I use to order all of our Church's Camera equiptment from. They gave me the specs as well. Please look over and compare to the Dell system. Tell the system you think is better.

Tower Chassis w/650W power supply
Core i5/3.20GHz DualCore CPU
2 x 2GB DDR31333 RAM
nVidia 9800GT VGA/DVI adapter
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
1 x 160GB SATA System Drive
4 x 1TB SATA (RAID10,
2TB usable) Video Drive – approx. 170 hours.
DVDRW
22X
Wireless Laser Keyboard/Mouse
2 x 19” 1920x1080 LCD Monitors
m
l
October 7, 2010 4:21:56 PM

COLGeek said:
Nice config. I would consider upgrading to Win 7 Pro or Ultimate vice the Home edition. This will make a more than passable editing workstation. Good luck and have fun!

ok COLGeek one more question......I just got a quote from a company that I use to order all of our Church's Camera equiptment from. They gave me the specs as well. Please look over and compare to the Dell system. Tell the system you think is better.

Tower Chassis w/650W power supply
Core i5/3.20GHz DualCore CPU
2 x 2GB DDR31333 RAM
nVidia 9800GT VGA/DVI adapter
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
1 x 160GB SATA System Drive
4 x 1TB SATA (RAID10,
2TB usable) Video Drive – approx. 170 hours.
DVDRW
22X
Wireless Laser Keyboard/Mouse
2 x 19” 1920x1080 LCD Monitors
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:03:57 PM

The first one would eat the second one and spit out the remains. The first has a stronger CPU, GPU, and more memory and will render video WAY faster. The second one has more HDD storage, but HDDs are cheap and can be added to the first option. If you can afford: OPT 1 is the better system (by a wide margin).
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:05:58 PM

BTW, option 1 did not have any monitors included. I would suggest a minimum of 2 22 to 24 inch monitors. I use 2 20 inch monitors with my video rig and I really wish I had slightly larger screens often. Like HDDs, decent monitors are cheap and plentiful.
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:12:34 PM

Wow, thanks a lot. You have no idea how helpful you have been.
m
l
October 7, 2010 5:20:42 PM

Always a pleasure! When you get your new beast, if you have any issues just come back to Tom's. Lots of good (and free) advice from a fairly well informed bunch of folks.
m
l
!