Your question

Boot issues - narrowing the suspects

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2010 7:24:57 PM

For the past year or so, I've had occasional issues with my PC failing to start up from cold boot or from sleep. It was not an issue for at least a few months after I initially built the machine.

The case and motherboard light up and fans start, but there's no apparent activity (no detectable HDD noise, but power is on). If i power cycle it, it typically works on the second (occasionally third) try. This behavior seems to be more consistent but is not exclusive to when the temperature is low. It gets pretty chilly in here at times.

The problem also seems to be more frequent when the system has been sleeping or shut down for more than several hours. I have a windows script scheduled at 3 am daily to wake the computer. Windows reports that the event has been running successfully, even though the system never appears to have started the UI, and it does not return to sleep after the normal idle period (I have to manually power off).

After any of these events (cold boot or wake from sleep) the mobo diagnostic LED displays 8-8, which is not a valid code according to the manufacturer's documentation.

I'm trying to narrow the culprits here for further troubleshooting. Motherboard is first on my list but I don't have another X58 board sitting around to test. PSU perhaps? I'd welcome any thoughts that might help to diagnose.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (C0)
HS/F: Xigmatek Dark Knight
MB: DFI LP DK X58-T3eH6
HDD: WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
PSU: Mushkin XP-800AP 800W
RAM: OCZ Platinum 1600 OCZ3P1333C8ELV6GK (3 x 2 GB)
Video: EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GTX 275 896MB
Case: Xion Onyx XON-301P (ATX mid-tower)

More about : boot issues narrowing suspects

October 8, 2010 10:30:18 PM

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to have helped. The problem isn't specific to resume from sleep, at any rate; it also affects a cold boot. Basically, I'm just looking for any thoughts on how likely it is that the motherboard is the source of the problem before I spring for a new one.
m
l