Mid to High End Gaming/everything PC

spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
First, Hello. I've lurked and used the resources here at TH for a long time. I finally had a reason to register and post. so here it goes.

I am going to put together a gaming PC. This is something I haven't done in many years.
Because it wasn't something I was doing, I lost track of new hardware, the price breaks, deals, etc...

I just missed out on a few of the deals used in the $2000 Gaming PC thread so I figured I'd start new.

Would anyone like to take a stab at a configuration for me?

time line: I'd like to purchase now. I have the budgeted amount burning a hole in my pocket.

Budget Range: I'd prefer to keep it under 2K before rebates but I'm open to a stellar deal if it requires a rebate. Heck, who am I kidding, cheaper is always good.

System Usage: Dual Purpose. Final Fantasy XIV is the reason I am doing this and then for Work. (I am a Sys Admin and do a lot of after hours work that I currently perform from my laptop.) I have no plans for running sims or first person shooters.

Parts Not Required: Buying all new.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Seems like NewEgg is the way to go but open to suggestions.

Country of Origin: US. North County area of San Diego, CA. Micro Center is not out of the question, its about 1.5 hours from the house.

Parts Preferences: Intel. I am partial to the i7-950 price at Micro Center at this time. Open on everything else.

Overclocking: Maybe but not required.

SLI or Crossfire: Don't believe its necessary for my needs.

Monitor Resolution: Depends on Monitor selection. I will want 2 monitors and maybe 3 if it can be worked out. A Radeon 5870 was recommended but damnifIknow.

Additional Comments: I am not concerned with looks of the case. Prefer mid tower and would like it as quite as reasonable.

Solution
Pairing with a i7 950 I like the ASUS Sabretooth x58 motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

6GB of 1.6V or less, DDR3-1600 cas7 RAM; preferably without tall heat spreaders.
Gskil, Mushkin, Geil, Patriot, Corsair.

For cases look at the HAF 912, Antec 300 illusion and for specifically quiet the Antec P183.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus CPU cooler

OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, Gskill Phoenix, Patriot Inferno SSD (90GB, 120GB)

Samsung F3 1TB HDD. Fast and good sized for data an the bulk of your programs.

Radeon 5870 is a solid high end graphics card that will handle up to 3 monitors if one is a display port (or you buy a powered display port converter). Nvidias 470 is the other choice, but it only...
Pairing with a i7 950 I like the ASUS Sabretooth x58 motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665

6GB of 1.6V or less, DDR3-1600 cas7 RAM; preferably without tall heat spreaders.
Gskil, Mushkin, Geil, Patriot, Corsair.

For cases look at the HAF 912, Antec 300 illusion and for specifically quiet the Antec P183.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus CPU cooler

OCZ Vertex 2, Corsair Force, Gskill Phoenix, Patriot Inferno SSD (90GB, 120GB)

Samsung F3 1TB HDD. Fast and good sized for data an the bulk of your programs.

Radeon 5870 is a solid high end graphics card that will handle up to 3 monitors if one is a display port (or you buy a powered display port converter). Nvidias 470 is the other choice, but it only handles 2 monitors.

something like a good quality Seasonic 750W silver certified PSU to power it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151101

Solution

spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I believe I am down to the video card.
I am still leaning towards a 5870 but now I don't know the ups and downs of the different brands.
If I could get a couple ideas from you all it will help me tremendously.

Here is my current configuration. Any opinions or suggestions with whats below?

ASUS Sabertooth X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ABS MJ900 Continuous 900W@50°C Power Supply - Retail

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black Computer Case

Add in a DVD RW and some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound that I didn't link and thats were I stand.

The 1100 Watt model of that PSU didnt fare well in professional testing. A Corsair or Seasonic 850W will actually output more wattage and not cause problems with catastrophic voltage fluctuations under load.
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/01/22/abs_majesty_mj1100m_1100w_power_supply_review/
850W is pretty hefty. The $110 Seasonic 750W silver or Antec TP750 bronze or Corsair 750TX bronze would all be plenty unless you want to put a pair of 480s in, then you might want 1000W+

Check out this article for buying PSUs for 470s and 480s
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/27/gtx_480_470_power_supply_unit_buying_guide/

The 5870 is a good choice, the other options are to go down to a 470 or up to the 480. The 480 sucks more power and generates more heat than its performance warrants so I dont like it from an efficiency standpoint, but it is a step up from the 5870 if performance is the only consideration. The 470 is no gem when it comes to power/heat either, but its a little more reasonable. The 470 is a bit weaker and cheaper than a 5870.

spectra20

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thank you both. I was only able to select one best answer but in reality both were equally helpful. I used several pieces of hardware recommended but also changed power supplies.

I am typing this from my new machine. :hello: