jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well, I have a slight problem, for Christmas my parents got me a brand new Asus Top GTS 450 for my pc! They know im a gamer and my old radeon x1300 didnt cut it :p. Anyway! I also got crysis and a few other games, but when i tried to play crysis i only get around 15 fps even on low. Any idea whats causing this? im pretty sure its my cpu or my psu.

My specs: Gateway E-6610d
Core 2 duo 1.86 ghz
400w psu
asus top gts 450

I think its either my PSU is too tinny or my CPU possibly both, any comments will help! Oh and by the way i have a $150 max budget to fix this bottleneck :/ so i know my pc is kinda crappy but i have to find a way to make due without building a gaming rig.

P.S. Im new on these forums so please dont kill me XD

EDIT: Oh and since its a gateway pc i cant OC :/

Solution
That CPU is definetely holding the GTS back, time for an upgrade me thinks. 400w is quite low too. The GTS450 is a top card and should be getting around 45FPS on Crysis.

jorn978

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for the quick response! yeah i figured it was something like that :/ also i forgot to say that i was also getting weird shadow blobs in crysis on the people's faces, idk if that means my psu is too small.

D

Deleted member 217926

You are out of luck with a Gateway. Generally the OEM manufacturers ( Gateway, Dell ect.) lock their BIOS except on high end dedicated gaming machines. They want you to buy a new computer not overclock the one you have!

Any hard mod is always questionable as to how safe it is, especially trying to trick the motherboard into running at a higher FSB, it likely isnt built to handle the next tier of FSB speed.

According to the gateway page for it it should support any of the E4xxx or E6xxx C2D processors that are only 65W, you might be able to find one of the higher level ones in that category for pretty cheap now and it should give you a decent boost.
http://supcontent.gateway.com/s/PC/E6610/1009024/1009024sp10.shtml

From the looks of that page that is the spectrum of processors that that board could have shipped with, and as such it will have BIOS support for the ones on that list, however it does specify E6xxx Conroe which i didnt realize the first time so that wolfdale you found which is 45nm probably wouldnt work, though Conroes seem harder to come across now.