Presario Problem

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Hi gang it is time for me to once again call on you bright gentlemen to help me with my little Presario issue. I was given a older Presario M2000 Notebook with the AMD Sempron 1.6 it came with 256 mb ram. I purchased of ebay 2 sticks of 2700 512mb ram to bring the notebook up to it's max for ram. Well I tried putting both sticks in and the computer gave me a blank screen and seemed to stop loading. So I took out one stick and place the other 512 stick into slot one and the computer worked fine. I took this stick out and placed it in slot 2 and again the notebook worked. So I tried the same steps with the second stick of Ram but itself and both slots worked fine, but when I put both in the computer screen stays black and nothing much happens. Plus each stick of Ram only reads 374 MB. Could this be a Bios issue?

Thank you in advance...

Solution
It could be a bIOS issue. It's probably worth it to go to HP's site and dig down till you get to your models support page, and see if there are any bios updates for the system.

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

Thank you I will do that and let you know....

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Well I updated the bios to the last one they put out for this laptop but still get a blank screen when putting both sticks in and as I mentioned I have tried each stick in both slots buy themselves and all works fine. This machine is supposed to handle 1 gb of 2700 ram no problem. There is nothing in the bios to set the ram manually or check????

Goofy machine or just me?

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
It could be a bad stick of ram, try only putting one stick at a time in to test both to make sure one is good first. You did say you bought from ebay which is like saying I bought my computer off of craigslist, honestly I only trust sources like newegg and tigerdirect because at least then you know your not getting a mixed bag of parts that may or may not be good.

woodenbear

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Thank you for your response and as I mentioned in my first letter that i did indeed try both pieces of ram each by themselves in both slots and both pieces worked perfect by themselves in either slot...