Sign in with
Your question

Beware Catalyst 10.7 and ATI 48xx series vid cards!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2010 2:08:21 PM

I just recently installed the new edition of ATI's Catalyst software/drivers (10.7 beta) and started experiencing problems with my games. Specifically, Fallen Earth mmorpg and Plants vs. Zombies. In Fallen Earth, which has played outstandingly on this card for a year now, began showing flickering foliage on the ground and in places it should not be. Plants vs. Zombies ( a 2D game in 3D mode) started going completely black and would flash on the screen briefly all while the game continued to progress. I found several other people on the Fallen Earth forums experiencing the exact same problem. My fix was to do a system restore. Luckily, I had one restore point from 4 days ago and it restored successfully. There were no other system restore points listed, so if the restore point hadn't worked, I might have been in trouble.

Mobo: Asus M3A78-EM AM2+
Proc: Phenom II X4 940 BE (overclocked to 3.5ghz)
Grfx: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1gb
Mem: 4gb Patriot extreme performance
HDD: WD Cavier 1TB w/64mb buffer
OPsys: Windows 7 Premium Home edition (system builders $89)

After this experience, I realize that I'd like Windows 7 to create a restore point daily. Can anyone tell me how to get Windows 7 to do that automatically? Also, I'd like windows 7 to save at least 5 or 10 previous restore points just in case a problem isn't discovered immediately upon changing something. Ideas?

August 21, 2010 2:24:04 PM

Sometimes, the latest version of driver is not the best driver, the old one can be more stable...
So if your system stable with 10.3 or 10.4 and not with 10.7 then just continue using the old one... :) 
m
l
August 31, 2010 4:18:49 PM

Well your first problem was that you were running "BETA" drivers. Never run beta drivers with the expectations that they are going to work perfectly, they are buggy, hence the beta. I've run the regular release of the 10.7s with no probs, and just went up to the 10.8's again no probs. Stay away from beta drivers
m
l
!