Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Do I need reinstall OS after replacing the Mobo and CPU?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Windows 7
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2010 9:27:37 PM

I've recently had to RMA my mobo and CPU. When I put in the replacement mobo and CPU, will I have to reinstall Windows 7? I heard somewhere that Windows has to recognize the unique serial of the CPU, such that you would have to reinstall if you replace the CPU, even if the model is identical. Is this true?

More about : reinstall replacing mobo cpu

a c 1207 à CPUs
a c 111 B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
October 4, 2010 10:16:35 PM

If it is the same board then there is no need. It is if you replace motherboard with a different board that you have to reinstall windows (at least repair install). CPU's you can change left and right.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2010 12:17:40 AM

You will need to re-authorize Windows, a process you'll be guided to after you start up.

No need to re-install.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 à CPUs
a c 121 B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 4:54:42 AM

Changing motherboards (even same model) will result in an ethernet port with a different MAC address. That alone will force you to reauthorize.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 9:34:25 PM

No. A CPU upgrade should not require a re-activation. HOWEVER, if you swapped out the board (esp. on an OEM license) you will most likely need to re-activate.
m
l
October 5, 2010 9:41:44 PM

No, you shouldn't have to.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2010 10:01:33 PM

Rofl. I have had to re-activate an OEM license when I changed the OS HD via a clone (2x), changed a motherboard (775 to 775), and changed a cpu+motherboard (775 to 1156). Yes, 4 separate times.

The good news is it is totally irrelevant to legal licencees. And the mechanics are easy.
m
l