Got my first general p-rotection fault...

Schism

Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\

Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:07:47 -0500, "Schism"
<blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote:

>Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\
>
>Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

The Atari forums are full of reports of people getting GPF's after the
patch where they never had them before. I've only had a couple of
hours with it and haven't crashed yet, but I did notice a couple of
other oddities. Back to testing.....

On Fri, 14 May 2004 11:07:47 -0500, "Schism"
<blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote:

>Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\
>
>Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

After many, many hours of gaming, hit two GPFs pre-patch. After maybe
2-3 hours post-patch, nothing yet.

-s-

U¿ytkownik "Schism" <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\
>
> Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

I have GPF's without the patch:/..and still dunno how to deal with it?
y'all think that the patch might fix that?

"Schism" <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote in news:10a9rldgvueeod6
@corp.supernews.com:

> Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\
>
> Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

I've had a couple before the patch, nothing so far afterwards.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

"Schism" <blah@(NO-S*P_AM)aforce.net> wrote in message
> Couple hours after the new patch... just great =\
>
> Anyone else get any unsual errors since the patch?

I had my first yesterday just hours after the patch and a re-boot.

They(epic) seem to be stuck in a trend with their games. Put out a buggy
game( after thoroughly testing it) find out it has problems (to their
surprise?) and put out a patch that causes more problems, yet repairs
others. So now another patch will follow. About the 3rd patch they will
get most of it working, but won't care because they will be working on the
next big game that needs a patch. Don't get me wrong, this is one
beautiful game, but how many times have we seen this pattern?

I also can't figure out what kind of system they must be testing on to not
get any problems.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:05:20 -0500, "Randy" <randy1640@cox.net> wrote:

>I also can't figure out what kind of system they must be testing on to not
>get any problems.

Must be remarkably similar to my own homebrew system ;) No real
problems either before or after the patch.

-s-

"Randy" <randy1640@cox.net> wrote:
>I also can't figure out what kind of system they must be testing on to not
>get any problems.

Have you ever actually tried to do this? Last time I tried to test
against a representative sample of the PCs in a particular target
universe it quickly became clear that this is one of those intractable
problems. Look at how many different motherboards, CPUs, memories,
and other interfaces there are out there! Let's say you have an
infinite supply of money and test time, and you buy the top 10 models
from HP, Dell, IBM, AlienWare, Gateway [...]. Now you test 100 PCs
over temperature, voltage, clock frequency, etc, etc, etc (whatever
your criteria are). Work out any bugs you find (*) and rinse, lather,
repeat. Six months later you have to do it all over again, because
your representative test machines are obsolete, and there are a whole
nother pile of machines on the market! Note that this doesn't even
cover the gaming universe, as there are going to be a large proportion
of homebuilt, off-brand, garage-shop, and upgraded PCs running some
strange mix of operating systems. It's just intractable.

(*) If this simple statement doesn't make you cringe, you've never
done testing or debug.

--
William Smith