Portégé notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have recently bbought a Portégé notebook R100 from a Pawn Shop and
the Windows XP has an Administrator Password. Now stupid me I never
checked to see if it ran but was assured it worked.

Now if I don't know the password how do I get into it to reset it. The
Laptop has no Floppy or CD-Drive.

Thanx all

Johnathon Aaron Steel <slush@slush.ca> wrote in

> I have recently bbought a Portégé notebook R100 from a Pawn Shop and
> the Windows XP has an Administrator Password. Now stupid me I never
> checked to see if it ran but was assured it worked.
>
> Now if I don't know the password how do I get into it to reset it. The
> Laptop has no Floppy or CD-Drive.
>
> Thanx all

sorry, you're out of luck. you need to install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?

Thanx

Johnathon Aaron Steel wrote:
> Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?

Now you're really SOL! Somehow you might be able to reformat the bare
drive, if you take it out and put it in a desktop unit (with the appropriate
adaptor). In that case, be thankful nobody's put a password on the drive
itself. In that case, the only fix would be a new one....

You might try contacting Microsoft with the XP registration number which
should be on the bottom of laptop. Perhaps they can put you in contact with
the original holder of the license. OTOH, you might find out it's hot....

jak

> Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?
>
> Thanx

if it has a built-in ethernet jack, you might be able to swing an install-
via-network kind of thing...

Good Man wrote:
> Johnathon Aaron Steel <slush@slush.ca> wrote in
>

>>Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?
>>
>>Thanx
>

> if it has a built-in ethernet jack, you might be able to swing an install-
> via-network kind of thing...

If you can take out the hard drive and fit it into your desktop with an
adaptor (after disconnecting the PCs HDD).

Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

create and run the bootdisk and clear the password.

primatech wrote:
> Good Man wrote:
>> Johnathon Aaron Steel <slush@slush.ca> wrote in
>>

>>> Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?
>>>
>>> Thanx
>>

>> if it has a built-in ethernet jack, you might be able to swing an
>> install- via-network kind of thing...
>

> If you can take out the hard drive and fit it into your desktop with
> an adaptor (after disconnecting the PCs HDD).
>
> Go to http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
>
> create and run the bootdisk and clear the password.

You might also be able to do it from a USB 'thumb drive' if there's a 'Boot
from USB' option in the BIOS.

jak

"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <slush@slush.ca> wrote in message
> Hrmmm next question.... How do I do it without a floppy/cdrom?

Why not just get an external floppy drive (USB)? they can be had for under
$20 in eBay, and would proabbly be a useful thing to have anyway.