Sign in with
Your question

Using Switch without Router

Last response: in Networking
May 1, 2010 4:35:46 PM

My Dad has a weird situation....

We have a wireless router setup in the main house and he connects to it for internet from his office in his barn 35 yards away using an amplified hawking antenna connected to his usb port.

He's trying to use a network printer and network storage device in his office. Currently he has both of those devices connected to a switch which is connected to the LAN port on his laptop. He's struggling to communicate with either of these devices. Am I right in assuming that he needs to use a router in this case since that switch is not connected to his internet router?

More about : switch router

May 1, 2010 6:18:25 PM

He needs to make sure that they all have a static IP address in the same network, e.g., 192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, etc.
m
l
May 1, 2010 7:07:57 PM

So as long as he assigns each device a static IP address and also tells the router that he's used those IP's he should be able to communicate with both devices using the switch he has?

Even though the switch is not connected to the router in any way?

Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2010 9:06:23 PM

That's correct. That obviously implies that the Ethernet port on the laptop also has to be configured with a static IP address and the range that he uses should be different than the range assigned by the wireless router. As an example, if the router assigns 192.168.0.x IP addresses, then he needs to use a different network for the printer and the NAS, e.g., 192.168.1.x (or IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x range).
m
l
May 2, 2010 1:30:42 PM

Great....thanks again for all your help...I'll be sure to pass the info on to my Dad.

Scott
m
l
May 4, 2010 5:38:03 PM

Can he connect the switch directly to the router? This would simplify the network. He wouldn't have to run ICS on the laptop to enable access to the NAS and Printer.
m
l
May 4, 2010 6:24:51 PM

In your original post, you wrote "He's trying to use a network printer and network storage device in his office." Will he move the switch, the printer and the NAS from his office to the house where the router is? If so, then the answer is yes.

Please explain why he uses ICS to print and access the NAS from his laptop.
m
l
!