Andrew

If I right Click a File and say Sent to..
It takes about 15 Secs for the list to appear. I can hear my (E:) DVD/CD
RW+ Spinning up.
Then when the Send To.. list appears - E: (Title of curent DVD or CD)
appears in the list.

I have tried looking in the Send to folder for My user and All Users
etc. no shortcut in there..!

I want to remove this item from my Send to.. list, anybody any idea where
it is, and how to get rid..?

TIA
Andrew

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:19:52 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> If I right Click a File and say Sent to..
> It takes about 15 Secs for the list to appear. I can hear my (E:) DVD/CD
> RW+ Spinning up.
> Then when the Send To.. list appears - E: (Title of curent DVD or CD)
> appears in the list.
>
> I have tried looking in the Send to folder for My user and All Users
> etc. no shortcut in there..!
>
> I want to remove this item from my Send to.. list, anybody any idea where
> it is, and how to get rid..?
>
> TIA
> Andrew

What do you use to burn CDs? XP or a third party program? If a third party
program, are there updates available for it?

Another angle to consider: If you allow hard drives to go into standby
(Control Panel> Power Options), the DVD/CDRW drive may be napping when you
access Send To. Time is required for the drive to "wake up" and respond.
Consider disabling standby for drives (change to "Never" for drives in
Power Options) to see if there's any improvement.

Workaround: Create a folder called Copy2CD. Toss a copy of the files you
will write to CD (or move the files to this location if they're going to be
taken off of the hard drive). When you've accumulated enough for a CD, then
burn them.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Andrew

Thanks Sharon, So take it there's No registry Tweak to remove it from Send
To..

I already use a folder named CopytoDVD..! Thanks anyway.
Andrew

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:04:48 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> Thanks Sharon, So take it there's No registry Tweak to remove it from Send
> To..
>
> I already use a folder named CopytoDVD..! Thanks anyway.

I don't think a registry tweak will really help. It sounds more to me like
a third party addition and under certain conditions the program's installer
will "self-heal" the installation, adding back things after you remove
them.

With a very few programs I've installed recently, using "Custom" install
choice, I've seen the option offered to add/not add context menu items. I
like the option being offered but it's not available with all software.

If this is not a laptop, I would give the Power Options control applet a
visit and enforce "always on" settings. I could be wrong but I think
there's a good chance that this change would help you with this problem.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Andrew

Sorry, already got drives set to Never in Power Options..!

Have Got 'DLA' enabled though..! could this be the fly in my ointment..?
Andrew

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:29:10 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> Sorry, already got drives set to Never in Power Options..!
>
> Have Got 'DLA' enabled though..! could this be the fly in my ointment..?

Probably. When you access a CD writer, the UDF portion of burning programs
intercepts the call. DLA is specifically grants the ability to work with
rewritable disks and falls into this category. Have seen slowdowns with
other similar programs (InCD, Drag-To_Disk, for example). Sometimes an
update will "fix" the problem or at least reduce the wait time.

Haven't used DLA so don't know if it relies on the IMAPI service (XP's CD
burning). Many burning programs will disable the service but a very few
will leave it alone and enabled. Point being - you could try disabling the
service. Test to see if the app works more smoothly without it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Andrew

That's It Sharon:
My Computer -> E: -> Properties -> DLA TAB -> uncheck use DLA for Drives.
Apply:

Now Send To is immediate.

will check for couple of days then post update to this thread.

ThanxVeryMuch
Andrew

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:01:58 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> That's It Sharon:
> My Computer -> E: -> Properties -> DLA TAB -> uncheck use DLA for Drives.
> Apply:
>
> Now Send To is immediate.
>
> will check for couple of days then post update to this thread.

You're welcome. If XP and the DVD/CD drive stays stable, you could leave
the setting that way. Enable it again whenever you are going to burn on a
rewritable disk (RW). XP can burn to RW disks but other than an added
"Erase" function, it burns these the same as it burns the CDR or DVD +/-R.
DLA probably has much nicer features for those type of disks.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User