Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build - Advice appreciated.

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2010 11:37:44 PM

Hi, I'm building a new PC for the first time, I've replaced parts and tinkered inside PCs before so I have some mild experience. I'd just like to ask for some advice and know if there are any glaringly obvious mistakes with my component selection.

This rig will be used mostly for gaming current and new releases, I'm currently playing at 1400x900 but will likely purchase a 1920x1080 in the not too distant future. I'm not decided on overclocking but it is a possibility so I wouldn't want to rule it out. I've picked a crossfire compatible mobo since I intend to beef it up with a second video card when it starts to get old. Finally the intended purchase time - the sooner the better, although I'm not against waiting if something really worth it is just around the corner.

The components I have picked thus far are listed below.
CPU: Intel i5 760

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

Video Card: Asus 5850 DirectCU

Cooler: CM Hyper 212+

HDD: Western digital caviar black 1TB (Purchased).

PSU: Corsair HX750W (Purchased).

<insert generic sata dvd drive here>.

Case:
The case is where I am really unsure. I am tempted by the HAF X but I am also concerned that it may be overkill for a (in the future) 2 card system. Is it okay or would you recommend another case? I would definitely prefer a case with dust filters and the ability to run cables behind the mobo tray since airflow/cooling is important (the room the PC will be located in can get a bit toasty at times).

Also I'd like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has helped me directly, through response to this message, or indirectly, through all the forum trawling/lurking I've been doing. Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 8:11:41 PM

So you want the HD 5850 huh? That's an awesome card already. By the time you're ready to CFX that thing with another one, it will be too outdated and you probably won't be able to find one for a good price anymore. It might not even be worth doing the CFX because maybe by that time the 68XX is out and AMD is about to launch the 7XXX series.

My point is, If you're going to CFX, do it soon or don't do it at all. That's been my experience. When I bought my first HD 3870, I was like....."Yeah, Imma get another next month." But next month turned into 2 months, and 2 months turned into 6 months, and then the HD 4870 came.

I felt really down that even if I CFX my 3870, it would only perform almost as good as one 4870. So I bought 2 HD 4870. Then it was annouced that DX11 was coming out soon and only the 5XXX series would support it. Bummer.... Now I gotta get some 5XXX series cards. Well I didn't jump to the 5XXX series, I'm waiting for the 6XXX series.
October 5, 2010 8:28:52 PM

I concur with the above poster. Unless you are CFXing at the same time, it's better to just upgrade the cards every year or so. So maybe just splurge for a slightly more expensive card now and use money to get a new card when this one wouldn't be able to handle the games you want to play at the settings you are content with.

From what I read and when I was doing my research (i did my build in april and used the FT02) the HAFs are generally good cases. Although I am not a fan of aesthetics of the series, that is a personal preference and thus irrelevant. Some cases in that range that have good reviews are the Corsair 600T and also the Silverstone Raven (both have filters). I personally like them so maybe you want to check them out but overall the HAF X is good. Also, the Raven is a 90 degree rotated case so for air cooling it's one of the best.
!