Sign in with
Your question
Closed

28 inches of awesome. yes? no?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2010 5:44:24 PM

Hello gentlemen, I know little about displays whot with the contrast ratios n response times....so i need some pointers. My 24" LCD just burnt out around the expected 3-4 year mark. My friend recommended this:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...

what do you guys think about it? The price seems ludicrously low for a lcd of this size...no doubt because of the brand name. Will it perform well for my high res gamings n renderxorz? Can anyone recommend a similar size name brand LCD?

uses-80% gaming 20% graphical artistry on this systems.

More about : inches awesome

August 21, 2010 6:07:04 PM

Its a horribly cheap TN panel monitor, and since its 28" it will have a lower pixel density, which sucks for gaming.

Spend the extra for a good monitor with a good panel type, like IPS:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr...

If you absolutely can't spend the extra get this:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/pr...

A TN panel is really a 6-bit panel that "cheats" by mixing colors to work as an 8-bot panel. A TN panel only has 252,000 real colors, while a native 8-bit panel, like an IPS panel, has all 16.7 million and doesn't need to mix colors to get the rest. An IPS panel will also have MUCH better viewing angles and black levels.

If you think the response times are bad, you need to understand the standard is GTG for marketing. GTG is gray to gray and is a very, very irrelevant benchmark. That is why a 2ms GTG rated monitor can still cause ghosting and blur, its other response times are poor, but you don't see that. Both monitors shouldn't be a problem.
Score
August 21, 2010 6:08:07 PM

$150 instant savings? LOL Holy crapola...

I don't know much about the I-Inc brand. However, purely based on the specs listed, that would be a pretty nice unit.

Although, at 28" a 2560x___ monitor is probably best. But you'd be spending quite a bit more money. :)  Still, 1920x1200 would be pretty awesome even still.

However, there is NO DVI input. Which means you can only connect with HDMI if you want the high resolution options. Make sure you have the ability to output HDMI on your video card, and have the adapter to do so.
Score
Related resources
August 21, 2010 7:28:34 PM

ahh mmk thanks for explaining that panel thing amw. I also thought 1920x1200 was a weak max res.

amw joor links didnt worked n dell only sells 23" maximum monitor it sez.

anymore recommendation?
Score
August 21, 2010 10:07:15 PM

Both your links come up as duds AMW. :(  Dell gave their apologies though.
Score
August 21, 2010 10:23:23 PM

Wow, I posted those and they worked like 5 times after. WTF!?

Look up Dell Ultrasharp U2311H and U2211H.
Score
August 21, 2010 10:48:01 PM

One of the most important specs, at least to me is the horizontal and vertical viewing angle. Yours is 160/160. That means that if your head is not positioned directly in front of the monitor, you will get washed out images if your head moves too much. The very best monitors are 178/178.

Low quality, cheaper monitors will have a few dead pixels. This is not a big thing, depending where they are, and how many.
Samsung makes the panels for many monitor vendors. I have yet to see a defect in a Samsung monitor, I think they keep the perfect samples for themselves. I might suggest this Samsung 24" 1080P for $220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your monitor is 1920 x 1200 resolution which is good. Many of that size will be 1080P or television monitors(1920 x 1080)
The highest resolution you can get today is 2560 x 1600 in a 30" monitor. Expect to pay about $1000 for one of those.
Score

Best solution

August 22, 2010 3:08:11 AM

I have that monitor. I upgraded from a 24 inch monitor. In terms of the quality of the picture, it's about the same as my old one, they were both pretty cheap lol. When I bought it it was 300... I'd definitely recommend it. Honestly, I really can't tell too much difference when gaming. And as for use on the desktop, sometimes it's nice that everything is a little bit bigger.

I have my computer in my room and sometimes I watch movies or tv shows from my bed. And so having the bigger screen is nice. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's really nice. To me it seems more like a normal size now, and anything smaller just seems like a smalls screen...

The viewing angles obviously aren't to good, but that's true with all TN panels. Sure some are better than others, but for me it's not an issue, I'm always directly in front of it. I have friends over a lot, and we watch videos online or whatever, and when there are people that are off to the side the picture's still perfectly fine for watching stuff...

It is a very bright monitor... which I consider to be a good thing.

As for the no dvi thing, my monitor came with a cable that's dvi to hdmi. So I didn't have any issues.

Anyway, for someone like me who is used to using cheap monitors, I'm perfectly happy with this one. The pixel density might not be the greatest, but everything still looks sharp, and that's all I really care about.

I just noticed that you said the use is 20% graphical artistry... if it's really important to you you might want to get a nicer panel, for the better colors. But if it's just a hobby and you're used to cheap panels... I'd say it shouldn't matter too much.
August 22, 2010 2:56:00 PM

wow thanks a lot yadge for the reply. Indeed I would likely not notice a difference in the color range since im also used to cheaper LCD's. Also interesting your friends viewing from an angle can't notice a difference.

Since LCD's are all doomed to fail after about 4 years anyway I just wish they were cheaper. Guess I'll go with the 24" lcd's with a quality panel until i can afford a larger one of similar quality. Thank u gentlemen
Score
August 22, 2010 2:56:19 PM

Best answer selected by kyle382.
Score
August 23, 2010 1:29:39 AM

kyle382 said:
wow thanks a lot yadge for the reply. Indeed I would likely not notice a difference in the color range since im also used to cheaper LCD's. Also interesting your friends viewing from an angle can't notice a difference.

Since LCD's are all doomed to fail after about 4 years anyway I just wish they were cheaper. Guess I'll go with the 24" lcd's with a quality panel until i can afford a larger one of similar quality. Thank u gentlemen

Well it's not that there isn't a noticeable difference. Everything does look a little more washed out from the side, but it's still uniformly the same. So if you're sitting off to the side you're not getting as good of a picture, but it isn't bad enough to make anyone care really.
Score
August 23, 2010 1:42:21 AM

kyle382 said:
Indeed I would likely not notice a difference in the color range since im also used to cheaper LCD's.

I own a BenQ G2400W, which is a good TN panel monitor. I used my friend's NEC monitor with an IPC panel and was completely blown away by the difference. The colors were so much better, but what really got me was the black levels, which made games especially look so much better.
Score
August 23, 2010 2:36:09 PM

I just wish it was easy to find panel type in specifications...they usually only list it if its a good panel type lol. IF its a cheaper panel type they just try to hide it.
Score
August 23, 2010 6:14:11 PM

A good panel will almost always have a viewing angle of 178/178.
Score
September 18, 2010 2:07:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!