Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SD card won't format to the correc size

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 13, 2013 10:00:01 AM

Hi,

I have an 8gb SanDisk SD card that I want to use in a raspberry pi that I'd previously used with an older version of the Raspbian OS, and I wanted to reformat it so I could put the latest version on.

However, Windows 8 will only let me format some random 56mb partition, and I cant make it larger or smaller. "This is weird," thought I, so I went into disk management and took a look.

Currently, there's a 56mb partition that I cannot shrink, extend or delete, and a 7-and-a-bit GB of unallocated space that I cannot format.

No matter what I do to the 56mb partition, whether it's partitioning with NTFS, FAT or exFAT, nothing is working. :cry: 

Am I being an idiot, or is something wrong here? :??: 

Many thanks to anyone who replies :) 
January 13, 2013 11:12:49 AM

use the win32diskimager-binary

the other partition that you can't use is in Linux format.
Related resources
January 14, 2013 12:10:49 AM

You may need professional format software to help you.
May 4, 2013 12:08:23 PM

SD Formatter 3.1 and 4 both failed. So did DiskPart. and I'm not touching that russian software (not because it's russian but I don't speak a'yor language so mistakes are bound to happen).

There is part blame on Microsoft for this inability to format anything other than FAT and NTFS. I also can't understand why the Raspberry Pi team for don't realise this as an issue that not everyone has the abaility to solve.
It is very frustrating.
May 4, 2013 1:53:50 PM

this is 3 moths old and i told the op what to do (it worked for me after raspbmc)

May 4, 2013 7:56:55 PM

adamdbz said:
this is 3 moths old and i told the op what to do (it worked for me after raspbmc)

well then tell me because i cant figure it out.


May 5, 2013 5:32:38 AM

Ok first try this
download the raspbmc installer
open it , select your SD card and press restore for format and then format it using SDFormatter

if that does not work
download EASEUS Partition Master it has a trail
delete the partitions on the SD card and then press crate and format the SD card.

good lock

-Adam Ericson
May 12, 2013 5:26:28 AM

Did you mange to fix your problem?
July 5, 2013 7:54:36 AM

adamdbz said:
Did you mange to fix your problem?


I have had the EXACT same problem.

adamdbz said:

Ok first try this
download the raspbmc installer
open it , select your SD card and press restore for format and then format it using SDFormatter

- That didn't work for me. Although, interestingly, the card has now jumped from 56MB to 70MB!?
July 5, 2013 8:12:56 AM

adamdbz said:
if that does not work
download EASEUS Partition Master it has a trail
delete the partitions on the SD card and then press crate and format the SD card.


I have just downloaded EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2 FREE edition.
After some wrangling I eventually *touch wood* appear to have a 14.8GB SD card now.

- I'll let you know if the SD card works in my camera/Raspberry Pi!
July 5, 2013 10:27:59 AM

Wow its been a while.. but good luck
July 7, 2013 11:49:56 AM

adamdbz said:
Wow its been a while.. but good luck


I only came across this thread on the 5th of July.
- But I managed to flash Raspian Wheezy (I am a totally Pi Newbie) onto the aforementioned SD card, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for the help!

July 7, 2013 2:11:13 PM

your welcome.
September 17, 2013 5:51:47 AM

I had he same issue, 125MB available. I popped my card in my digital camera and formatted the card nearly 8Gb available now.
September 18, 2013 11:14:50 AM

6117371,0,896843 said:
Hi,

I have an 8gb SanDisk SD card that I want to use in a raspberry pi that I'd previously used with an older version of the Raspbian OS, and I wanted to reformat it so I could put the latest version on.

However, Windows 8 will only let me format some random 56mb partition, and I cant make it larger or smaller.
!