SD card won't format to the correc size

DarkMalfunction

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi,

I have an 8gb SanDisk SD card that I want to use in a raspberry pi that I'd previously used with an older version of the Raspbian OS, and I wanted to reformat it so I could put the latest version on.

However, Windows 8 will only let me format some random 56mb partition, and I cant make it larger or smaller. "This is weird," thought I, so I went into disk management and took a look.

Currently, there's a 56mb partition that I cannot shrink, extend or delete, and a 7-and-a-bit GB of unallocated space that I cannot format.

No matter what I do to the 56mb partition, whether it's partitioning with NTFS, FAT or exFAT, nothing is working. :cry:

Am I being an idiot, or is something wrong here? :??:

Many thanks to anyone who replies :)

dom123

Honorable
May 4, 2013
SD Formatter 3.1 and 4 both failed. So did DiskPart. and I'm not touching that russian software (not because it's russian but I don't speak a'yor language so mistakes are bound to happen).

There is part blame on Microsoft for this inability to format anything other than FAT and NTFS. I also can't understand why the Raspberry Pi team for don't realise this as an issue that not everyone has the abaility to solve.
It is very frustrating.

Mike Gutkin

Honorable
May 4, 2013

adamdbz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Ok first try this
download the raspbmc installer
open it , select your SD card and press restore for format and then format it using SDFormatter

if that does not work
download EASEUS Partition Master it has a trail
delete the partitions on the SD card and then press crate and format the SD card.

good lock

-Adam Ericson

MannMadeMedia

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I have had the EXACT same problem.

- That didn't work for me. Although, interestingly, the card has now jumped from 56MB to 70MB!?

MannMadeMedia

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I have just downloaded EaseUS Partition Master 9.2.2 FREE edition.
After some wrangling I eventually *touch wood* appear to have a 14.8GB SD card now.

- I'll let you know if the SD card works in my camera/Raspberry Pi!

MannMadeMedia

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

I only came across this thread on the 5th of July.
- But I managed to flash Raspian Wheezy (I am a totally Pi Newbie) onto the aforementioned SD card, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for the help!

xnutter

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I had he same issue, 125MB available. I popped my card in my digital camera and formatted the card nearly 8Gb available now.

Daniel P

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Hadmad

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

YOU SAVED MY LIFE

CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH !!