Help, CPU multiplier shows 6x, should be 9x.

Agro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I have an HP Pavillion m8100y. It came with a Q6600 cpu (2.4ghz quad core). I ran PassMark and PC Wizard 2010 and both show what seems to be that I am running at 1600MHz? It seems that the multiplier shows wrong at 6x and not 9x. The motherboard is HP branded ASUS, but does not allow for any overclocking, and I haven't touched it. I am running Windows 7 64bit. I have a GeForce GTX 260, 4 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800 memory, etc. Any ideas?
I have had this same install of Windows 7 Ultimate on here since Oct 2009, so maybe somehow it is FUBAR? I updated the Chipset drivers (G33 express) but that didnt help. Maybe a reinstall? Maybe something else? HELP!

cpu.jpg

suteck

Distinguished
Yes, according to that you are running at 1.6 GHz instead of 2.4. Try opening up the case and removing the cmos battery for a couple of seconds. That should reset bios IF something somehow got changed in there. Make sure you unplug the power supply from the wall socket first, then hold the power switch on/down for about 10 seconds, then open her up and remove the battery, reinstall the battery, plug her back up and turn it on. That might help. You haven't made any hardware changes have you? Changed out the video card or added extra memory? Just asking. That sounds odd if it has been running right and then just dropped the multiplyer like that. If you want a third opinion download and run CPU-Z HERE. It's the most widely used program for checking on cpu status.

The other thought I have is maybe it only runs at 1.6 as an energy efficiency protocol? If you start to stress the processor does it man up and start running at 2.4GHz? TRY OCCT. It's a stress tester and also gives you readings on cpu speed and temps during testing.

6 X 266 is 1596 - 1.6GHz - Like he said
While 9 X 266 is 2394 - 2.4GHz - Where he knows it's supposed to be

Agro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010

I will go ahead and do that.
I just re-ran the BIOS update which overwrote the same version that was there (2007). No difference.
It may have been at 1600MHz since 2007, I just didn't notice.

I just bought a new PC online tonight, gonna built it out. i7 950, 12gb DDR3 2000, GTX 570, etc. I plan on selling this on CL, This probably wont matter once it's gone, but it is bugging me and I would like to see if I can get it resolved.

I think the issue is "Speed Step". I found lots of "q6600 multiplier 6x 9x" on google referring to speedstep. People usually say just go in to the BIOS and disable, then set the power settings in W7 to High (cpu low/high is 100%). I did the second part, but no setting in the BIOS for this. So dunno.

Gonna try your suggestion now and see what happens.

Agro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I set the Power Saving scheme to "High Performance" and checked the Processor minimum and maximum they show 100%. I have no way to disable in the BIOS. It isn't an option. There is nothing under "power" or anything that even remotely sounds like this.

I ran the test and I wish it would spike above 1.6GHz, but it doesn't.
Lame
occt.jpg

suteck

Distinguished
This is after you pulled are reset the battery? That really does suck. Sorry. The other thing you might try is some overclocking software. GO HERE and try some of these. I know you're not supposed to overclock but some of these get you around that. Hopefully you can at least up the multiplyer back to 9.