Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • Health
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 13, 2013 10:10:57 AM

Hello, Here are two images of its health status, if anyone can give me anything else to go on, please do so :) 

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

More about : 500gb sata dying give feedback

January 13, 2013 10:14:47 AM

Oh, Im adding a reply because I cant edit my OP for some reason, anyway, the performance of the hdd is fine, its boot up speed is great for a hdd from 2009-2008, its transfer data is fine, apart from the images telling me caution, it seems perfectly fine.
January 13, 2013 10:46:59 AM

Try WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and run the quick tests(extract and run setup, then run it)
http://download.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_124.zip

The quick tests should give a pass or fail, if C5 and C6 truly are failing, then it should not pass the quick test.
Related resources
January 13, 2013 11:04:00 AM

Hey thanks for the help, Ok I installed Digital Data LifeGuard via the link you provided, The 3 disk drives I have connected (my ssd, hdd and the external all have SMART status to the right of them as a PASS. I dont know if that even counts, but I decided to run a test anyway, despite it saying pass, I tested on my HDD and it stopped with the following message. Begin Quote" Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2! "End quote
January 13, 2013 12:26:42 PM

Anyone else or cliffro got anything to say that I should do?
January 13, 2013 12:39:44 PM

Ok I did an extended test, and it says bad sectors are in the hdd, but are repairable? I tried reparing but it came up with an error saying, cannot repair... weird. The hdd has failed on both quick test and extended, bleh... but it seems to be running fine.
January 13, 2013 4:00:07 PM

Well if it's got bad sectors, run Chkdsk.

Open a command prompt as an Admin(click on the windows icon and type cmd, then right click on cmd and run as admin)
and type "Chkdsk d: /r" without quotation marks and replace d: with the drive letter of your drive you want to check. Go do something because it's going to take a while to finish. If the drive is in use, it may tell you it will do it on reboot, reboot and then go do something else.
January 13, 2013 4:11:44 PM

Oh another method is to right click on the drive in "Computer" and select properties then under the tools tab click check now in the Error Checking portion at the top, select both options "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". With the same caveats of go do something it will take a while and you may need to restart to run it.
January 14, 2013 3:37:51 PM

The cmd finished with the Chkdsk d: /r, so should any bad sectors be fixed now?
January 15, 2013 1:48:09 AM

Technically no, but Windows will have tried to recover any data from the bad blocks and then marked them as bad to prevent data being written to the bad blocks. You should run Data Lifeguard again to see if it passes now.
January 15, 2013 1:21:59 PM

cliffro said:
Technically no, but Windows will have tried to recover any data from the bad blocks and then marked them as bad to prevent data being written to the bad blocks. You should run Data Lifeguard again to see if it passes now.
It's still failing on Data Lifeguard, oh well, any idea how much life is left on my hdd? Thanks :) 
January 15, 2013 1:23:24 PM

Oh it was purchased around 2008-early 2009.
January 15, 2013 10:40:46 PM

I'd say look at grabbing another soon, and backing up as much as you can now before you even get the other. That is if it has important stuff on it.
!