CPU crashing... need assistance.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I think my CPU is overheating. The reason for this is because I have had multiple resets in the past hour and once I go into the BIOS to check the CPU temps, the idle temp is 52 degrees centigrade. I don't know why there was a sudden spike in the heat... but there was. I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 all day and Counter Strike Source all day without any issues whatsoever.

I get a blue screen of death and then it resets. I don't even get a chance to read the information on it because it shuts off immediately, which leaves me to believe that the CPU is overheating substantially. I am not going to tinker around with it any more until I get a heatsink, however I just want to know what you guys think... does this definitely sound like an overheating issue? EVERYTHING else is working fine, it just randomly restarts.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Intel i5 650 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor w/ Hyper Threading (Socket 1156)
AMD Radeon HD6850 1024MB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD 7200.12RPM 16MB cache
2x2GB of Corsair XMS3 Dual-Channel Memory 1600MHz (clocked at 1333MHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
700W Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus PSU

I use stock cooling but plan on getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Heatsink next week.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
The ambient temp in the house is about 20 - 25 ish.... Right now the temp in the CPU is about 44 - 50 idle and about 65 - 70 at load. Ever since I moved the exhaust away further from the wall the temp has dropped quite a bit.

My case airflow is quite good, however the intake is a little congested due to the rat's nest of wires sitting in the drive bay cages. I don't know how to improve that unless I take the wires out of there and put them in the chassis. I have a Thermaltake Armor A60 case with honey comb architecture on the casing, so the airflow is really quite good in my case.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I think the CPU is fine, also - but the stock cooler is the issue. I had the PC overclocked yesterday to 3.48 GHz from 3.2Ghz on stock so maybe it was just very hot from that and needed time to cool off.