Sign in with
Your question

CPU crashing... need assistance.

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2011 5:29:18 AM

I think my CPU is overheating. The reason for this is because I have had multiple resets in the past hour and once I go into the BIOS to check the CPU temps, the idle temp is 52 degrees centigrade. I don't know why there was a sudden spike in the heat... but there was. I was playing Left 4 Dead 2 all day and Counter Strike Source all day without any issues whatsoever.

I get a blue screen of death and then it resets. I don't even get a chance to read the information on it because it shuts off immediately, which leaves me to believe that the CPU is overheating substantially. I am not going to tinker around with it any more until I get a heatsink, however I just want to know what you guys think... does this definitely sound like an overheating issue? EVERYTHING else is working fine, it just randomly restarts.
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 6:00:58 AM

I know this sounds obvious but make sure all your fans are working
Also what do you mean by get a heatsink?
Do you mean different heatsink?
What is on there now?
m
l
January 1, 2011 10:58:46 AM

Lol -- all the fans are working. It's just a stock cooler on there now. I mean get an aftermarket cooler such as the Hyper 212+.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 1:12:39 PM

List some system specs, will be easier to help if we know what you have.
m
l
January 1, 2011 3:06:54 PM

Intel i5 650 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor w/ Hyper Threading (Socket 1156)
AMD Radeon HD6850 1024MB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD 7200.12RPM 16MB cache
2x2GB of Corsair XMS3 Dual-Channel Memory 1600MHz (clocked at 1333MHz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
700W Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus PSU

I use stock cooling but plan on getting a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Heatsink next week.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 3:18:45 PM

What is the ambient temp and how is your case air flow?
m
l
January 1, 2011 3:28:55 PM

The ambient temp in the house is about 20 - 25 ish.... Right now the temp in the CPU is about 44 - 50 idle and about 65 - 70 at load. Ever since I moved the exhaust away further from the wall the temp has dropped quite a bit.

My case airflow is quite good, however the intake is a little congested due to the rat's nest of wires sitting in the drive bay cages. I don't know how to improve that unless I take the wires out of there and put them in the chassis. I have a Thermaltake Armor A60 case with honey comb architecture on the casing, so the airflow is really quite good in my case.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 3:31:09 PM

I think your cpu is ok..Can you run a memtest to test your ram?Then try to prime your cpu to test the cpu?
m
l
January 1, 2011 4:33:07 PM

I think the CPU is fine, also - but the stock cooler is the issue. I had the PC overclocked yesterday to 3.48 GHz from 3.2Ghz on stock so maybe it was just very hot from that and needed time to cool off.
m
l
!