[Help] Maximus IV USB Problem

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I just finished building my first computer and have encountered a problem. When I get to the BIOS screen, it tells me no keyboard detected even though I have it plugged in, it also doesn't read my mouse. I have tried moving it around to different slots but it doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

What exact Maximus IV? What Keyboard & Mouse? What USB ports? Use only the NATIVE USB 2.0 ports {black} on the MOBO's I/O and not the case's USB. IF that fails then disconnect ALL of the USB 2.0/USB 3.0 headers from the MOBO to the case and try again.

I assume the issue is not in Widows and is limited to BIOS access.

Assuming one of the following and with any P67/Z68 use the latest BIOS only and a PS/2 Keyboard or Mouse to flash.
Maximus IV Extreme-Z Version 0403
Maximus IV GENE-Z Version 0403
Maximus IV Extreme Version 1409

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm using the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z with an Orange KBC2408SB keyboard and Kensington PilotMouse. they are plugged into the I/O ports and I disconnected the front USB ports for the case. Right now the number lock light on the keyboard flickers weakly if at all. Does this sound like a problem with the keyboard or the MOBO?

Try another Keyboard and the Kensington PilotMouse is wireless and probably requires a driver to work properly.

Otherwise IF you have a shorted MOBO: unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe, pull away from anything conductive and supported by a towel - test.

IF you are using a non-stock HSF then make certain there's NO metal to MOBO contact INCLUDING the backplate.

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'll have to go buy a new keyboard then, will it be ok to use a usb keyboard again? Also, how will I know if my MOBO is shorted? Can it be shorted out and still boot up to the BIOS screens while having dead USB ports?

Shorted - "Otherwise IF you have a shorted MOBO: unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe, pull away from anything conductive and supported by a towel - test. Also pull the USB headers. Including re-installation of Stock HSF." Test.

First, I have no idea IF your MOBO is indeed shorted. Often USB issues are indicative of a short either by the Standoffs, I/O, Case headers, peripherals, etc. I'm trying to help you 'isolate' the issue(s) as best as possible. Guessing helps no one. I can see the KB/Mouse is cheap and it's not unheard of that some KB/Mice don't allow BIOS control. I use good equipment that I know works including PS/2 devices.

You can borrow someone's KB/Mouse or purchase new. IF a new 'good' KB/mouse fails then first look carefully for a short, including doing a Breadboard {MOBO on a piece of cardboard with minimal connections}. IF the Breadboard fails with use of new KB/Mouse then sure the MOBO might be 'bad.'

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I've ordered a PS/2 keyboard because I can't find one in any of the stores around here. When I start the PC it comes to the screen that says no keyboard detected and after a few seconds it switches to a black screen with white text reading: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. What does that mean in this case? Is that solely caused by the lack of keyboard?

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Would it matter if my OS drive doesn't have an OS installed on it yet? By that I mean, would this fix still work? And how do you flash BIOS to the newest version, is that after I get an OS in? And would the video card be considered bootable? Thanks for bearing with me.

ripstop

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Ok, I'll report back here once I get the new KB/mouse. And just to be clear, I should only have my MOBO, RAM, video card and HDD connected? Also, where would I find the proper boot sequence?

No, you don't need the HDD attached to flash the BIOS, but it's needed to test the system afterwards. To change the Boot Priority, drag & drop in the boot order you want; see the bottom of this image ->
ASUS%20BIOS%201%20-%20EZ%20Main_575px.png

9tailedfox

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

This is a common issue with this motherboard from Asus.. i have the Asus maximus IV extreme and i get this issue constantly.. not sure why.. i'm still researching.. so buying a new keyboard and mouse is not going to fix this issue.. i'm also getting other errors too like chassis intrusion etc.. etc..

I'd highly suggest going to Asus's support sight for help and post on their forums they know their product better than anyone.