Your question

Fileserver Project - 24TB FlexRAID Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
October 5, 2010 5:26:41 AM

So after numerous posts across here, HF, FlexRAID forums and alike I can successfully say I have decided that FlexRAID fits what I need perfectly, and now have began the next steps of putting the actually server together.

Please keep in mind all prices are in AUD - HDDs are already in my procession - Samsung F3 1TB 7200RPMs

Option 1:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T(2.8GHz) - AM3, 9MB Cache,125W - AUD $220
MB: Asus M4A89GTD-Pro USB3 AM3 890GX 4DDR3 2PCIE RAID VGA GLAN 2FW ATX HDMI - AUD $195
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G ValueRAM (ECC Un-Buffered) - AUD $135
PSU: Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables - AUD $222
Controller: SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8e - Included with HP SAS Price below
Misc: HP SAS Expander - AUD $650
Case: Norco 4224 - AUD $459

Total: AUD $1880

Option 2:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor - AUD $400
MB: SuperMicro X8STi-3F - AUD $345
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G ValueRAM (ECC Un-Buffered) - AUD $135
PSU: Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables - AUD $222
Controller:] LSI 1068E 8-Port SAS Controller Onboard
Misc: HP SAS Expander - AUD $375
Case: Norco 4224 - AUD $459

Total: AUD $1930

RAID Setup:

As you may have noticed the HDDs are not included in the above costs as I already have them, this is one of the main reasons for my move to create a server as I just do NOT have the room in my Main PC for 20+ HDDs.

I will be running FlexRAID in a T2+ (RAID6) Array with 21xDRUs and 3xPPUs - I will also have a spare 350GB Samsung running as the main OS drive (Possible upgrade to an SSD in the near future).

All RAID HDDs are Samsung F3 1TB 7200RPM. My OS of choose for the above will be Windows Server 2008 R2 64Bit.

The Battle:

To be used as a Fileserver - it will be access by my Main PC and also our HTPC in the living room, along my wife and I to watch/view Films and Photos whenever we like, without having to switch Discs/Risk Damage and ensure with have some sort of redundancy on Family Pictures/Movies.

This PC will NOT be used for Gaming, Programming or any other sort of work. That is what my Main PC is. I would like to reduce costs as much as possible, but also not to the point where it is unusable for the above tasks.

Parity generation will be ran on a weekly basis when/if new files are added - will be run during the wee hours of a weekday so not to overlap with anything that might slow performance.

Conclusion:

The issue I'm facing is the bloody expense/performance - this thing is ending up more powerful then my Core 2 Duo GAMING PC, and will end up being used solely as a Fileserver. The other option I can add is to wait till the new Sandy Bridge CPUs are released, upgrade my Main PC and retire my current PC into a server...

Any pointers would be lovely, suggestions, or new builds that are brought up will be considered and advantages/disadvantages of the above all take to heart. Please do contribute.

Regards,
VD

More about : fileserver project 24tb flexraid build

Anonymous
October 6, 2010 11:18:25 PM

Only issue with that mate, is there is not enough PCI-E slots for the HBA and SAS Controller.
m
l
!