GA-MA785GM-US2H

jimlp1

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hey everyone;
I currently run the above Mobo with an AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8 GHz...The Gigabyte Product Manual says this board has an AMD 3 Socket which supports several Processors. The current setup has a 425W PSU, 2Gig DDR2-667MHz DIMMS, and 4-80Gig HD's, the rest is all on board.
I want to upgrade my CPU and memory to the best for the board, like an AMD Phenom II X4 or X6 CPU and compatible DDR2 Memory without changing the Mobo itself. I researched stuff but I'm confused about the current DDR2 Memory at 667 and adding faster chips, will the two speeds work together or defeat the system..? I'd like to obtain the Maximum speed, efficiency and Power on the Mobo...! The current DDR2 Memory can be eliminated and faster chips installed, thats not a problem....I run Windows XP Pro 32-bit, so I think a maxium Memory of 4 gig would be fine since Windows 32-bit only utilizes 3.0 to 3.5 gig at any one time. Crucial.com's Memory Checker/ID'er showed my current Memory and 2 sticks of 1066 MHz chips to reach 4 gig... as an upgrade...? Any help will be appreciated, thanks to all in advance....!
James...

* 1066 Mhz RAM is the limit (other than 1200 w/OC, but I wouldn't recommend that).

* Looks like your limited to 125w CPU's, which isn't a bad thing. You can support up to the latest Phenom II x6's if you so desire. Personally I'd probably get a 955 BE and call it good, but it all depends on what you do with the system.

* I'd also consider getting Windows 7 64bit to take advantage of all 4 gb's of RAM, but going for more than 4 gb's of DDR2 is cost prohibitive, IMHO.

** Edit ** Forgot the CPU support list from Gigabyte's website Here it is

beenthere

Distinguished
Yes the specs on your mobo are for a max DDR2 RAM speed of 1066 Mhz. and 4 GB. is the practical limit with XP Pro. Buy a MATCHED TESTED SET of DDR2 1066 Mhz. RAM designed for your CPU/mobo model - to be sure it functions properly. Do not buy individual DIMMs as they may not work together even though they are identical DIMMs. Do not mix your current RAM with the new RAM.

The fastest Phenom II CPU is the X6 1100T. If your mobo PCB version is 3.3 you will need BIOS F12A to use the faster AMD Phenom II X4 and X6 CPUs.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3447

jimlp1

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks..Lunyone, I did consider the 955 BE then I thought if that' s a X4 why not get a X6...? The system is just a Home PC nothing special, mostly I watch Internet TV on my HDMI HDTV 32".....and check my email...play Unreal Tournament 99 sometimes....
James...