Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM buzzing PC speaker sound USB related?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Speakers
  • USB
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Motherboards
August 28, 2011 8:04:18 PM

Hi All,

I have this buzzing noise that happens frequently on my Gigabyte AMD motherboard. I think it is somehow related to the USB devices particularly the Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse combo. If I disconnect it, most of the time it goes away but even then sometimes it comes back. I am going to remove the PC speaker for now but does anyone know what it could be? Link to the noise is below if it helps.

Nick

Noise link:

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxwsgh/7

More about : gigabyte ma785gm buzzing speaker sound usb related

September 16, 2011 2:22:53 PM

npolite said:
Hi All,

I have this buzzing noise that happens frequently on my Gigabyte AMD motherboard. I think it is somehow related to the USB devices particularly the Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse combo. If I disconnect it, most of the time it goes away but even then sometimes it comes back. I am going to remove the PC speaker for now but does anyone know what it could be? Link to the noise is below if it helps.

Nick

Noise link:

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxwsgh/7

I have that EXACT same problem with a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H, I went to your link and my noise is exactly the same. It starts a few seconds after I turn the motherboard on, and stops halfway through booting windows. It's very irritating and I also had to remove the PC speaker. The board seems to work fine otherwise.

m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 16, 2011 4:42:32 PM

More than likely it is just noisy voltage converting MOSFET's interfering with the audio channel. It is probably just poor engineering on Gigabyte's end of things, and there is nothing wrong with the computer. Except for being annoying I would just leave it.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 8:53:43 PM

Not sure about OP, but mine is really LOUD, it is so loud I can barely hear the POST beep over it. If it was a barely audible buzzing, I might think it's poor design, but it's so loud I can't imagine it would get past QA. I'm not going to worry about it though, most of my cases don't even have a speaker.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:15:48 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I just disconnected the pc speaker and all is good. I'm just a bit disappointed because I hold Gigabyte as a high MB vendor.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:59:56 PM

Ah hah! I figured out what it is, the thought just popped into my head.
It's the PC Health warning sound! It's the alarm that goes off if you've enabled a CPU over-temp warning, CPU Fan Failure, etc. I noticed a pattern, it seemed to go off mainly under low load conditions, so I ran HWMonitor and discovered every time it goes off, it thinks the CPU fan is 0RPM even though it's still spinning. It seems the motherboard can't read CPU fan speed below 1000RPM, so that's why it was only going off during low load when the CPU fan is slowest. I disabled the CPU Fan Failure warning in BIOS and now the speaker is silent except during POST.

It could be you could have one of those PC Health warnings enabled in BIOS and one of your fans' RPM is too low for the monitor to detect.
m
l
!