Two non SLI cards on EVGA X58 SLI-LE keeps restarting before OS load

mastaboywonder

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum topic, having come across it in another forum (forums.nvidia.com) I'm having a problem running the GT240 1GB DDR5 graphics card with the GT240 1GB DDR3 graphics card on my EVGA x58 SLI-LE mobo that I just bought. Each card works fine on its own but when I plug both in, the info screen letting me choose to continue or go to bios shows up, then the PCI inventory and adapters list, then the pc will die and restart itself.

I DO NOT want to run these cards in SLI since they are not SLI cards, I just want to use one card for 2 monitors, and one card for 1 monitor so I have extended desktop functionality. Does anyone know how I can turn off SLI? or how I get it to work?

here is the forum thread from the other site, if you have time, please help out a newbie.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=177379

THANKS!!!!!

SLI is a driver based function, so your reboot is likely a BIOS or hardware malfunction caused by having two GPUs installed. Since you're not getting into Windows, I doubt it's an actual SLI Driver issue. Besides that, the GT210/220/240 cards do not support SLI anyhow. So they're incapable of running SLI to begin with.

You may be experiencing a hardware conflict to be honest.

I see in your nVidia forum post that you upgraded from a 430W PSU to an Antec 650W PSU and that didn't correct your issue either. I'm thinking it's either a BIOS issue (settings wrong, or needs updated) or there's just plain hardware conflict (i.e. both video cards trying to grab default).

mastaboywonder

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

I dont' want to run SLI, i just want to plug in another graphics card so that I can use my 3rd monitor. Way back when I remember that just buying PCI video adapters could do this by just plug and play and add a new monitor. I don't want to SLI, since the first card isn't even SLI either. I just want both cards to work. Independently so i can share my desktop since one GT240 card is limited to 2 outputs max.