HTPC for gaming I7-870

G

Hi all.

Im in the process of building a HTPC of sorts which should also be able to run new games smoothly.
I am relatively new to building pc's in general. so i need some advice on if these parts work good together. Also cheaper alternatives without significant loss of performance would be greatly appreciated.
dont know if i want to get into the overclocking game but if i wanted would there be any room for it in terms of power and cooling?

This is the setup.

Silverstone Sugo SG05B Mini-ITX
450W, 80 Plus, Mini-ITX

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3, H55, Socket-1156
2xDDR3, mini-ITX, GbLAN, VGA, HDMI, DVI, USB 3.0, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-870
2,93GHz, Socket LGA1156, 8MB, Boxed

Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU cooler
Socket 775/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 1700 RPM, 120mm Blæser

Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 8GB KIT, CL9
Kit w/two matched DDR3 4GB, 240pin

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
7200RPM, SATA 3.0 Gbps, 3,5", 32MB Cache, 8.9ms

XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, 850MHz

Thx in advance.

best regards Mattias

cmcghee358

Distinguished
On a Mini ITX board you're going to most likely need a low profile card, which means it wont be powerful.

Whats your budget? And games you intend to play, as well as monitor resolution

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Also to be perfectly honest your specs are wildly out of control.

8 GB on any recreational PC is complete overkill. And the i7-870 isn't the optimum chip to use. Also the H50 water cooler is expensive for its performance.

Let's start from scratch and you can build off of our suggestions. Sound good?

G

This is the Gfx cards silverstone lists as being compatible with the case.

* ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 6.7"
* ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 8.15"
* ATI Radeon HD 4850/4830/5770 - 9"
* ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 9.5"(ST45SF PSU recommended)
* NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT - 9"
* NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT/GSO - 9"
* NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS/GT/GTS - 9"
* NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 - 9"
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 8.25" (ST45SF PSU recommended)

out of these which is the best buy in the 5770 xfs price class?
as for game titles i havent been gaming for quite while so i cant mention any specific titles. As for settings i dont expect to be playing everything maxed out. around mid level graphics would be fine as long as it runs smoothly im more a gameplay kinda guy, eyecandy comes second. i plan to play primarily on my 36" hd tv so 1080p would be nice but not a must.

My budget is around what these parts costs. if it can be done cheaper im all for it. as long as im not loosing too much performance.

G

Thx for the reply.

Better explain some of the rational behind my choices.

at first i opted for the I5-760 since it seemed like it had a good performance/price ratio, then went on to the I7 since it seemed it could save me some upgrading in the future. i would get hyperthreading and some more Mhz for 100 bucks extra.

I see your point about the ram. again i thought about future upgrading..but yeah i dont know if i will ever need more than 4gb's

I opted for the water cooler becuase i thought it would be wise in a case this small with some effective cooling on the cpu. noise also plays a factor.

G

Yeah sure.

Im from denmark so prices might be a bit different.

the build listed above amounts to aprox 1350 usd

With your suggestions i think about changing the I7 to I5-760 and the 8 gigs to one block of 605846

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB CL9
XMS3, CL9-9-9-24, for Phenom II and Core i3/i5/i7, 1.60v

Thet would lower my price to 1050

which is much more healthy for my budget.

I plan on mainly buying from this site http://www.komplett.dk its in danish tho so might be quite hard to find your way around..the search function good tho.

And again thx alot for looking into this

G

Much appreciated :p. no need to hurry tho, dont have time to check the forums again until prob sometime tommorrow afternoon