First budget PC build

G

Greetings.

My apologies for placing this in the wrong section...

I'm building a low-cost PC. The budget is INR 35,000 - about $750 including OS.

I will be using the computer primarily for web surfing, editing documents (Office 2007), watching movies, and maybe some casual gaming. Not much multi-tasking though.

I don't plan to overclock, because this system is going to be in place for atleast 5 years, maybe more... so, I don't want reliability issues.

I won't be ordering online, because I don't have a credit card.

Please note that not all brands are available here, in India.

I would like some comments and suggestions about the following:

> Processor: Intel i3 540 (maybe 550, if available) or AMD Athlon X4 635 - leaning towards i3.

Should I stretch a bit and get a Phenom II X4 970 BE / 965 BE / 955 BE for future-proofing? And will that require a new PSU?
If yes, which one should I go for? Is the 970 BE worth its premium?

> RAM: 2GB DDR3 (Brand?) generic

> PSU: Corsair HX450 (could find no other good modular PSUs for 450W with an 80Plus silver rating)

> Motherboard: (?) -- probably go for an Intel one, if i3 -- If AMD, then Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

> HDD: 1 x 320GB 7200 RPM WD Caviar Blue / Seagate 7200.12

> Mouse and Keyboard: Microsoft Bundle

> GFX Card: Integrated - toying with the idea of a Radeon 5570 / 5670. Any other good budget cards?

> Optical Drive: LG / Samsung DVD-RW

> Monitor: Open to suggestions -- Dell, Acer, Samsung, LG, BenQ -- not necessary, really - have a CRT which I can use.

> Case: Antec 300, if available, otherwise any other cheap case

> OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (can buy Home Basic, but would like full Aero VFX)

> UPS: APC Back-UPS® ES, if available. CyberPower is another alternative.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Even if you don't get the GPU, its hard to see all this fit into your 25000 INR budget.

Processor: X4 635. 965BE is almost double the price of the 635. Since you have a limited budget, wouldn't suggest that.
RAM: GSkill.
PSU: Corsair VX450W (Modular is not necessary).
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green. But Black is preferred.

But now the main question is, what are you going to use the PC for.

Hmmm... Nice point you made. Looks like i made a mistake in the VX450W prices. Its 3600 INR - 3800 INR. So i hope that clarifies your rule of thumb?

Just look around the forum and other thread and reviews. You would know.

Plus there is no doubt in the quality that Corsair puts in their PSU's. They do not compromise on quality for the sake of budget. I would rather advise on an Antec, Seasonic PSU's which are more capable of delivering quality than the CM. CM is always a dodgy product to buy, some good, some just blow up. Their high end Silent Power and Real Power is the only PSU's that make sense.

G

I dought OP would ever find this thread.Since he is new here.

I found it all right... thanks to email updates. :)

My budget's been updated to INR 35,000 or $750... ;)

AMD 965BE - 9.5k.
Biostar TA785G3 motherboard - 3.8k.
GSKILL Ripjaws Series 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz - 6k.
Western Digital Caviar Black - 5k.
Samsung DVD Writer - 1.1k.
HD 5770 - 8.6k.
Cooler Master Elite 334 cabinet - 2.2k.
Corsair VX450W - 3.6k.
APC 650VA UPS - 3.2k.

This would be the price approx if you want to get the GPU and the 965BE. Think about it... If budget does not permit now, then settle for something like 635BE or cut out the GPU for now.

G

Sorry, I made a mistake: I meant Radeon 5570 / 5670 instead of the 5770. :(
Thanks for the info though. I appreciate your help.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
The i3-530/H55 with the IGP could be run with a 150W PSU. See if you can find a Seasonic or other 80+ 300W PSU if you go with that build. There is definitely no need for a 450W or 600W PSU. At the loads you'll be pulling (likely not even 100W) a large PSU is going to be inefficient.