How to disable my onboard graphics card w/o use of BIOS or monitor

BostonRocker11

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Okay so my onboard graphics card is busted and i cant figure out a way to install my new card because i cant plug the monitor in. its a dell dimension 3000.

BostonRocker11

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Well my problem is that i cant connect my monitor to the onboard video connector (it was litterally ripped off) and therefore i cant see what i'm doing. I got it up and running once but I accidentally switched back to onboard on the BIOS and now its installed on the computer but not recognized as the default

Helltech

Distinguished

Unplug everything, reseat the CMOS, see if that helps.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
lol.

Either take the battery out for 3 to 5 minutes, or there are three points like this |||, 2 would be covered with plastic cap ||.| colored black, green, red or blue.

Find out which one of these is for BIOS. Usually they are located near battery. Read on motherboard, or check the manual. just take the cap off and put it on 1.2 (if on 2.3) or 2.3 (if on 1.2). for some seconds, switch back as before, then switch it on.

make sure powers not supplied when doing this operation.

BostonRocker11

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

well it starts loading windows XP, i got past the BIOS and everything, but then the screen just stays blank (the screen isn't off just blank)

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
is your cd, dvd drive new? what about cables?, cd? if your pc switches on and doesn't proceed in installing windows then either installation cd is corrupt or cables are not fine. and happens too if you ram is faulty. (experienced) :bounce:

BostonRocker11

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

welll windows xp is already installed on my computer, im not trying to reinstall it, but i get to the logo and after that the screen goes blank and ive tried going into safe mode but it wont let me

Helltech

Distinguished

Sound likes you need to repair Windows boot configuration to me. Pretty simple process really.

BostonRocker11

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010

Well I tried editing the boot configuration and it didn't end up working so i tried to reinstall windows but the problem with that I realized is that the computer would have 2 of the same OS and I have heard that can severly mess up your computer. Is there any evidence to the contrary or another way of reinstalling windows? Because i dont have another partition on the drive.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Lol what re you talking about :/

While installing you will get option to make new partitions, and format the partitions. Just format it with NTFS (not quick) and follow the installation.

Helltech

Distinguished

IF you have data on the hard drive that you need to back up then put it in another computer and back it up to another media source. At that point you will want to delete all partions on the hard drive, reformat, and then install Windows.