Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 best CPU Cooler

Last response: in CPUs
January 1, 2011 2:57:06 PM

Forum:

Im looking to upgrade my intel i7 920 stock CPU cooler for my Gigabyte X58AUD7 mobo which has G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM modules with the ultimate goal of OC the chip. I have read many comparisons in the forum and memory module size being an issue but would love to hear some real life end user experiences pros and cons in your view.

Im leaning towards the Prolimatech Megahalems but is subject to change let me know what you all think.

Once again forum Thank You

:sol: 

E

More about : 920 cpu cooler

a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 6:34:10 PM

Most HSF's will be better than the stock HF - I use the Fenrir Titan and it provides briliant cooling and is very quiet too.

The only consideration with the Megahalems is the amount of space that is required around the CPU socket - and depending on what motherboard you have the proximity of the CPU to the memory slots. If you use RAM modules with tall heatsinks they may clash...
January 1, 2011 8:10:27 PM

ulysses35 said:
Most HSF's will be better than the stock HF - I use the Fenrir Titan and it provides briliant cooling and is very quiet too.

The only consideration with the Megahalems is the amount of space that is required around the CPU socket - and depending on what motherboard you have the proximity of the CPU to the memory slots. If you use RAM modules with tall heatsinks they may clash...

I currnetly have installed a Gigabyte X58AUD7 mobo which has G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM modules.
Related resources
January 1, 2011 8:13:10 PM

Quote:
Here are some other options

COOLER MASTER V6 GT Dual 120mm fans
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200mm Red LED Case Fan
CM Long-Life Sleeve .6k-2k RPM 21-77CFM 13-32dBA PWM
CM Barometric Ball .6k-2k RPM 26-86CFM 13-30dBA PWM .
AC Fluid Dynamic .3k-1.35k RPM Max 57 CFMw/ 4 Pin PWM
Scythe SFF21E Sony Fluid Dynamic 1.2k RPM49CFM 20dBA
Scythe SFF21F Sony Fluid Dynamic 1.6k RPM64CFM 28dBA
Silverstone 2Ball .8k-2.4k RPM Max 110CFM 17-40dBA fan contr.
Noctua SSO .9k-1.1k-1.3k RPM 33-54CFM 13-20dBA adj. speed

For thermal compound this is very good

Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound

TY Dadiggle's I will be reading up on these suggestions appreciate the share by chance do you have a similar setup Mobo / Ram?

E
a c 229 à CPUs
January 1, 2011 8:18:50 PM

I think you're on the right track .... so does benchmarkreviews. This test was for the 920, newer one is for the 930 .... and yes ...what CPU is used does matter.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
For absolute performance my recommendation goes to the Prolimatech Megahalems. This product is designed by former Thermalright engineers, and takes the best aspects into consideration to produce one phenomenal product. The mounting base is unparalleled by any other I've ever tested, and delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and polished finish on the Megahalems.

Shin Etsu comes in 1st place on their TIM tests BTW
January 1, 2011 8:32:07 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I think you're on the right track .... so does benchmarkreviews. This test was for the 920, newer one is for the 930 .... and yes ...what CPU is used does matter.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
For absolute performance my recommendation goes to the Prolimatech Megahalems. This product is designed by former Thermalright engineers, and takes the best aspects into consideration to produce one phenomenal product. The mounting base is unparalleled by any other I've ever tested, and delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and polished finish on the Megahalems.

Shin Etsu comes in 1st place on their TIM tests BTW

Thanks JackNaylorPE i am leaning towards the Prolimatech Megahalems but you are saying the ZalmanCNPS10XPerformaCPU Cooler
in the reviews right?

E
January 1, 2011 8:39:00 PM

Does anyone in the forum have a similar setup? UD7 / i7 920 / Ripjaw DDr3 1600 ram ?

E
January 1, 2011 9:39:38 PM

Quote:
I got the Noctua NH-D14 on my 930. Its silent, can cool a heavily overclocked cpu and you can adjust its speeds according to Performance vs noise the way you want it. its around 90usd but its every penny worth it

TY Dadiggle appreciate the feedback.

E
January 1, 2011 11:17:29 PM

Spoiler
I wrote a long and extremely accurate reply, and then I hit an advert with my mouse and lost it.

TL;DR

3.8GHz on a hot D0 920 is easy with the CNPS10EX and supplied STG2 Compound and an UD3R

Also, it's cheap.

4.5/5

GfS

Highly Recommended

January 15, 2011 12:35:15 PM

Forum:

I wrote to the manufacturer Prolimatech here is what they suggest:

Quote:
Hi :

Thank you for your email.

Both of these two coolers " Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler , Prolimatech Supermega " are compatible with your configuration.

We suggest you have the first ram slot empty as the ram you use may interfere with the cooler fan which is close to ram slot.

Best regards,
Minna Yu
Prolimatech

Why wouldn’t we want to not use the closest slot? That seems like a waste of resources to me! Does anyone in the forum have a similar cooler , memory config?

Are there any spacers that can be used to accommodate?

Thanks all

E
January 22, 2011 9:12:17 AM

Forum:

I decided on the Prolimatech Super Mega CPU Cooler
we will keep you posted.

Thanks to all for the feedback...

E
!