Gaming ram speed

Ikeman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hello,
im looking to buy 8 gigs of Corsair Vengeance ram running at 1600mhz. Is this going to be enough for the onslaught of games coming down the pipe later this year??? (battlefield 2, skyrim, mw3, ext...)

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

8gigs @ 1600 should be more than enough, what's probably more important is graphics power and video memory, if anything the bottle neck will be your hard drive unless you're running a speedy SSD.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
8GB of any ram, even ddr2 would be more than sufficient for any games out there. Games depend on 2 things, a GREAT graphics card, and a moderate to good cpu. a good graphics card for a lower budget build would be a 550ti or even a 560 from a respectable company like evga, pny, asus, or msi. these cards will give you great performance for a $100-$180 range with rebates. Second, i recommend either an i5 if you are intel, or a Phenom IIx4 955BE. With this combo, you are under $300 for both components, and are on your way to a very good gaming system. as far as running an ssd, they are very pricey!!!! if you are looking for gaming performance, you are better off raiding some cheaper 7200rpm hdd's in a RAID0 or RAID10 configuration, and you will get a much better bang for your buck. Remember, gaming is all about the graphics card, secondly the processor. A good Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, G-SKILL, or even Mushkin 4GB set of DDR3 will be more than fine, and probably cheaper unless you are on newegg, and find a deal. I hope this helps.