Your question

Any help appreciated !

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2010 1:09:29 PM

Hello,
I've been having this problem since a very long time now.
My system specs are
Core i7 , Intel DX58BP mobo
3 GB DDR3 RAM [XP]
NVIDIA 9800 GT 1 GB
1 TB HDD and 550w Power supply.

The system freezes while playing games . If its a graphically extreme game the PC freezes and sometimes reboots in under 10-20 mins. If I play an older gamer [Warcraft] The system freezes in an hour or so.
I've changed 3 power supplies to date , which temporarily made the system not freeze. I read up on the freezing issue and found out 3 main causes of this
1>Dust
2>H/W problems
3>Overheating / Not enough power

I don't have problem with dust as I clean my PC every three to four days. I checked and rechecked my H/W a lot of times too.
Is it a problem with the Power supply that I need an even greater Voltage one or is it the problem on the motherboard since its Intel , cause a lot of Intel boards have overheating issues. This problem has seriously pissed me off. :( 
Please help me !!

More about : appreciated

a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 7:42:21 PM

Make sure the ram voltage is set correctly. What's the temp on your CPU?

Also, run Memtest 86+ on your ram to see if it's still okay.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 4:32:32 AM

I was planning to shift to Win7 cause XP limits the 4GB to 3.3 smthing
I've been using the Paste on the heatsink [dunno what its called] and the Heatsink is a basic round grill one with a CPU fan on top.
I added another fan to the system around 2 months back too. But thats not doing the trick.
I used RealTemp to chk the core i7 temp and it usually averages 98-99
I have no idea about the RAM voltage though :( 
I'll run the memtest 86+ today.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 4:39:45 AM

Also
I tried running the sensor test on the Realtemp and downloaded the prime95.
As soon as I clicked on ok and the multiple threads came up in Prime95 the PC restarted on its own.
This happened twice.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2010 4:58:24 AM

98-99 Celcius? That's super hot. If that's true, then you're CPU is over heating.
my 3.9Ghz i7 920 idles at 38-42C. On load, it can reach as high as 75C.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2010 5:08:34 AM

I did feel the hot air cming out of the exhaust over the fan.
How do I get the CPU to cool off ? :( (

I tried keeping the case open , But after a few days the PC starts shutting down on a frequent basis and then it won't turn on at all. [The power supply changes I told you about] .
My i7 is 2.67 Ghz and at idle the min core temp is 95 and the max is 100 degree C
the GPU is 72 degree C.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2010 6:35:11 PM

Quote:
I did feel the hot air cming out of the exhaust over the fan.
How do I get the CPU to cool off ? :( (

I tried keeping the case open , But after a few days the PC starts shutting down on a frequent basis and then it won't turn on at all. [The power supply changes I told you about] .
My i7 is 2.67 Ghz and at idle the min core temp is 95 and the max is 100 degree C
the GPU is 72 degree C.

That's dangerous.
Your GPU should also idle at about 40C.

Is your heat sink on tight? Those stock Intel heat sink sucks.

Here's the game plan.

What kind of case do you have? If it's one of those old school white boxes or a cheap Raidmax or Apevia case, get rid of it. Find a case with good air flow similar to the Antec 300. That will be good for all your components. An all aluminum case like a Lian Li or Silverstone will be great if you have the money. Otherwise Antec or Coolermaster.

If you really want good cooling, then liquid cooling is the best option, but that's too pricey. High end air coolers and lots of 120 or 140mm fans are good enough.

Invest in a good air cooler. Prolimatech Megahelems are still the best out there and will probably set you back $80-$90 with fans.

Switch out your thermal paste to something like Arctic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-3 on both your CPU and GPU (if you feel like it). I would switch it out on all my chipset coolers too, but CPU and GPU is good enough.

For your GPU, make sure there's nothing blocking air flow. People usually stick their hard drives in front of their GPU which blocks air flow. I try to leave a gap between my hard drive and GPU.

If you have sloppy cable management, tidy it up. It will look nice and improve your air flow. If you're still using IDE and or floppy cables, get rid of them.

For right now, until you can solve your heat problem, don't use your computer. I'm surprised it's last this long at such hot temps.

Another thing people do is lap their CPU and heat sinks. You can do more research on that, but I wouldn't recommend doing it, if you're a noob.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 3:39:26 AM

I did a cold start chk today morning.

The temp was 65 degree C
and it went to 99 in 6 mins and 35 seconds.

Tried Warcraft again and the PC gave up in 15 minutes.
The PC runs fine without any games on that hot a temp. As soon as I 10-20 in a game it will freeze up.

I have a Black-Silver case which looks like an Antec 300 but not a lot of room for ventilation. Have 2 fans and no room for even one more. That is unless I cut the side off and plant one myself.
Liquid cooling lmao :) )
I live in India dude. The last time I asked a vendor for liquid cooling he was like "Does that even exist ??"

The sucky heatsink I have is the intel one :( (
http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pacifi...

I oughta search more for a good heatsink near my vendor. I hope I get it.
I'll also try for the grease compound cause I have a hunch I saw it the last time at the shop.
btw How do you apply the compound on a GPU ? *confused*
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 7, 2010 4:04:06 AM

I was under the impression that since the CPU heats up so fast it may have been the PSU's fault for supplying lesser voltage or smthing like that.
But after 3 PSU changes I want to differ from that opinion :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 7, 2010 4:19:00 PM

Quote:
I did a cold start chk today morning.

The temp was 65 degree C
and it went to 99 in 6 mins and 35 seconds.

Tried Warcraft again and the PC gave up in 15 minutes.
The PC runs fine without any games on that hot a temp. As soon as I 10-20 in a game it will freeze up.

I have a Black-Silver case which looks like an Antec 300 but not a lot of room for ventilation. Have 2 fans and no room for even one more. That is unless I cut the side off and plant one myself.
Liquid cooling lmao :) )
I live in India dude. The last time I asked a vendor for liquid cooling he was like "Does that even exist ??"

The sucky heatsink I have is the intel one :( (
http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pacifi...

I oughta search more for a good heatsink near my vendor. I hope I get it.
I'll also try for the grease compound cause I have a hunch I saw it the last time at the shop.
btw How do you apply the compound on a GPU ? *confused*

Wow, that thing heats up fast. Did you check to make sure the heatsink was on tight?

Thermal compound can be applied several ways.

There's the Line Method, squirt a thin line down the middle of the CPU. Stay in the middle and don't go near the edge.

There's the small dot method, squirt a pea size amount right in the middle.

There's the "spread it" method, where your squirt a pea size amount and spread it evenly with a card or your finger wrapped in an anti-static bag. This method is recommended with conductive compounds like arctic silver and it's what I do most of the time.

There's the "lay-it-on-thick" method, where you spread a ton of it on the CPU evenly. Don't use this method with conductive compounds. I use it for Coolermaster Theramal Fusion and Tuniq TX-3.

There are also some that look like paper where you can just cut it to fit the size of your CPU/GPU.

The important thing is that if you're using a conductive compound, don't let it drip outside the edges. Make sure you clean the CPU and heatsink thoroughly with rubbing alcohol or some thermal compound remover.

If you do Google searches, you should be able to find more articles on this.
m
l
!