Cpu Dark knight temps

strategoslc

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hi. I'm new to building computers. On my first build, I'm using a core i7 950 @ 3ghz and a zigmatek dark knight with artic silver 5 thermal paste. Currently, at idle, it is running at 30c. I'm wondering if that is normal. Also, how much overclock will i be able to get out of it with the dark knight? Thanks.

Motherboard:asus rampage 3 formula
Case: Cooler master HAF X
Processor:intel core i7 950 @ stock 3ghz
Ram: 6gb Corsair Dominator @ 1333

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Yes it is normal. My CPU temp is running idle at around 35 - 40 centigrade, so it is quite normal. Don't try overclocking on stock, though, as the stock cooler is very low grade and not designed for overclocking. Slowly increase the clock speed and monitor your temperatures. Here's an excellent program for CPU temp monitoring...

http://bit.ly/1ra1J2

It's called CPU Core Temp and you can minimize it to your task bar and it comes up as two little numbers (or four depending on your processor type).

Edit: I would also just like to point out that you would've gotten a much better bang for your buck provided that you went with the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ heatsink. It has pure copper heat pipes which results in more efficient heat transfer and absorption. Six copper pipes > six aluminum pipes.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Depends a bit on your ambient temps.I do mean that heat sink is meant to take heat away not actually lower the temp so if you had a 20C ambient temp you would also get a higher cpu temp of around 31C~39C.If you want to lower the temps of your cpu go for nitrogen cooling.