Windows to imac-what?

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I've always used windows since 98 and have had relatively few problems. I have ios devices and enjoy them and so I bought a new imac quad core i7 2.93ghz. It has 1tb, 1 gb 5750 gddr5 gpu, 27" screen. Its gorgeous. However, my wife likes to play Sims 3 with all the expansion packs, and use the architectural design aspects of it. My Dell xps 8100 handles the game like melted butter-smooth and easy. The imac which is a similar to the i7 860 dell, having a 2.93 i7 plays it not nearly as well. I have to run resolution down to 1080p from its higher native, and put most settings on medium without a.a. It still is a bit choppier than the Dell which cost half as much. This is not COD MW2 or CRYSIS, its Sims 3 with all 4 expansion packs. I have a few more days to take back my imac and wondering if ther is a setting I can adjust or just realize this is par for the course in apple land? Any suggestions.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would say it is more on the fact that the game is poorly written for the IMAC than it is the IMAC it's self. Also, MAC's are not generally know for "Gamers" granted the SIMS3 isn't much of a game.

You can live with it and it's performance or return it, build you a much better computer and give your wife your old one (might be the route I would take).

michial

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
it might work better if you use Boot Camp.

It has all the drivers and helps you partition your drive to run windows natively on your Mac.

remember, that 27" screen is running in 2560 by 1440 resolution, which is pretty high for a 5750.

We ramped it down to 1080p.

Ive heard bootcamp can damage the imac or degrade its performance. Is that true? We actually enjoy the OSX and dont want to use windows full time but if it doesnt degrade the imacs overall performance and it boost the sims3 performance then Im all for it.

My wife has already been gaming on the mac for a few days. How do we get her game onto the windows side?

Also I still have an unused Windows 7 home premium install disk from my Dell. Do I install it onto the imac? What is a good amount of space to partition. We only will need it for the limited gaming of Sims 3. Ive never done this before. Thanks

no, Bootcamp will not harm your mac. It's actually a built in part of OSX, it simplifies doing a dual-boot partition. You still ned a legit copy of windows xp/vista/7 to load, though.

Bootcamp defaults to 32 GB of FAT32. you can use any size you like. Win 7 will need to be NTFS, which is also required for any partition over 32 MB in size.

Th difference is a Mac can read NTFS, but can read AND write to FAT32. for your install, you should be ok with a fairly small partition (the 32GB should be adequate, but if you plan to do more windows games, you might bump up to 60gb, 80, or 100gb, all a small portion of your 1 TB space). You'll need to get the updated bootcamp drivers from apple.com/bootcamp if you want to load windows 7.