SSD space occupied for no reason?

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hello,

My SSD (Corsair Force GT 120GB) has a formatted capacity of 111GB, yet after my Windows install a couple of months ago only 55GB was available.
I was wondering at the time how my OS (64bit) could possibly take up so much space... I somewhat forgot about it but here I am again, I unveiled all hidden folders
but when I take a look at the size of all the files that are on my drive, it only says about 40GB..

So where's the missing 30GB?

Thanks in advance :)

Picture:

43032850.png

Follow the link, like analyze disk space by "WinDirStat", reduce the amount of space used for "System Restore" or disable it, disable "Hibernation", etc.
http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways-to-free-up-hard-disk-space-on-windows/

bucknutty

Distinguished
paging file or virtual memory can be using some, windows often defaults this at .5 of the system ram. So if you have 8 gbs of ram you might have a 4gb page file. You can turn that off.
By default windows 7 system restore is set to use 5% so thats another 5gb.
Hybernation creates a hyberfil.sys file that is the same as the ram size, so if you have 8gb of ram your hyberfil.sys will be 8gb.

In this example thats about 17gbs.
windows 7 with all the updates right now is about 11gb.

If you have 8gbs of ram or more you can kill virtual memory.
If it is a desktop you can kill hybernation.
You can set windows restore to something smaller like 2% but keep in mind that will reduce your restore points to only a few.

ikaz

Distinguished
Also you want to look at how much space is being used for recycle bin I think by default its something like 10% of your HD space so reducing it from say 10gis to some thing like 2gigs should free up some space.

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks! I have 16GB's of RAM so my paging file was quite big.. I also disabled hibernation (with powercfg.exe -h off in cmd I believe?)

I've gained 13GB!