A system freezeup, no RAM failure, clocked system

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys :)

I've got a problem which occured the first time aobut a week ago, and since then I've been trying to solve it with the knowledge I already had, but it seems like there's not enough data up there, so I'm therefore asking for advices and tips concerning a hopefully easily solved problem.

To decrease amount of posts required and to increase amount of data given, I also link this thread about parts picked up for my current system

My system is OC'd through the Extreme-Tuner built into TurboV EVO included with my P7P55D-E Pro since I'm still an apprentice clocker. I got my i5 760 to about 3.9 GHz, and the RAM settings might have been slightly changed within the BIOS.

Worth to mention, during times whenever the graphics shown on the monitor arn't too advanced, a buzzy noise seem to appear inside the case, which I personally think is caused by the graphics card. Common moments when this buzz(compared roughly to tinnitus) would be while watching the desktop with no other windows up, while inside (and actually viewing) the world in MineCraft and even the famous (?) racing game TrackMania, but the noise never occurs during Counter-Strike, Half-Life Source engine games or similiar a bit more complex rendered programs. This noise has been since the day I installed it. It's a GTX460 Sparkle 1GB Pre-OC'd card.

Also, the freeze of the system mostly occur while starting with a little lighter games like MineCraft or TrackMania, but World of Warcraft, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 1&2 never cause them at all. Another odd input might be, that until now, no freeze has been caused after playing Counter Strike, which I am most into for today, for an hour or so and then closing it. However, the system could run for hours before freezing if not CS has been launched before. This might be just random, or maybe useful information.

I've run Memtest86+ for roughly 20hours, and no indications of any error, all passes past :bounce:

When it's about the clocked system, I do have a great ~$80 CPU cooler inside a 932 HAF case, and got all it's fans running 100% all the time. I also regularly blow out dust since theres no dust filters in my case. However, I have no actual RAM cooler(except for the CPU cooler which blows air into the sink stright from the sink of the 3x2 RAM kit) and nor do I have an extern graphics card or HDD cooler.

I use windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I do have PS/2 mouse and keyboard if that'd be required at any time.

Many thanks for all inputs, I'm glad there's forums like theese!

//Filip, Sweden

Download Coretemp to monitor your CPU temps. See if the CPU fan ramping up is the noise maker.

Download Overdrive from EVGA.com and use that to monitor the graphics card temp and fan speed. If the noise happens when the fan speed goes up, you will know it is the cause.

If your temps arent high, turn the case fans down to low to reduce noise even more. You shouldnt need high unless your room is hot. I cant see temperature being an issue with that roomy case and large fans.

3.9 is a pretty high overclock, try dropping back to 3.3 or so and see if the problem goes away. If it does you can then push it back up in steps until you start seeing the problem again.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks. I forgot to include that I've run Prime95 and Coretemp at the same time, which resulted in the cores landing in a range of 54-59 degrees celsius for a 2hour period. That'll be around 130-135fahrenheit or something like that.

I'm unavailable to find a program named Overdrive, even through googling and website searching. Able to hand over a link? :)

Also, the noiselevel isn't a problem. I'm like livin in an igloo. The noise doesnt really disturb me as long as I know it's not harming the computer, but I thought it could have to do with the freez that occur every now and then.

The RAM timing is correctly set btw, 8-8-8-24, down from 9-9-9-24 which the TurboV EVO thought it was.

I am running mine with the 15 760 at 3.3 and under prime the cores never get above 50. I under volted the CPU (instead of increasing it like the auto OC wanted to) and it helps keep the temp down. 60 is getting to be a concern worthy temp on a CPU. The GPU I get concerned at 70.

Sorry, EVGA calls the utility precision. ATI's utility is called overdrive.
http://www.evga.com/precision/
They are both derivatives of Riva Tuner, which you can also use.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have it downloaded and since I dont really know a good stress test for the, I ran World of Warcraft for a few minutes, and the GPU so far(not more clocken than before)didnt breach 60degrees celsius(around 140Fahrenheit ? )

Many thanks for all replies :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'm trying to clock the GPU a bit, in hope of it'd solve the freeze that sometime occur. WHile playing CS the temp reached 41degrees even.

Btw, is there a goal or a limit/threshold you should be aware of while clocking your GPU? Or is it just trying some clocks till its borderline between stable/unstable?

ATIs overdrive comes with a test for your overclock's stability on the GPU. Nvidia doesnt have one so a game benchmark would be the next best thing. 60 seems high for WoW. My GTX460 never goes above the low 50s when I play Lotro, which is more demanding than WoW. What happens to the fan speed? Mine starts at 30 and will speed up automatically to keep the temps in the low 50s.

This is sounding like your GPU fan may be bad, making noise and not speeding up like it should.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
You might be right, the fan might be causing this annoying noise. However, a bad fan which still is able to cool the GPU enough, probably isnt the guilty part that causes the system to freeze. Also, while running the system clocked, this noise isnt at all.

I havn't ålayed lotro, so I really cant put my finger on how much is taking on your GPU, but I currently play the Cataclysm Beta(the next expansion)where the graphics are increased by alot, and since my Graphics card should be able to handle, I do max it all out.

I also set the Graphics card fan speed to run faster even at lower temps, and almost go full at 50(around 80-90%) and after I've reclocked my system and pulled up memory and core speed on the GPU, I'll report back with more data

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So far, no random crash have occured, so my main problem seem to be fixed. However, the buzzy noise still is, and I think I've done everything I can to clean the fan blades and changed the speed aswell. Any other input, from wether the noise could come from?

Many thanks :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I can tell almost for sure now, that the system has a 90% crash risk if I start a program but Counter Strike first, but if CS is run before any other program is run, the crash won't occur at all, 99% atleast.

Also for the GPU which I thought made a buzzy sounds, could this be the PSU instead? The strange is that this noise only occur while the system isn't clocked, or while running Trackmania or Minecraft. Barely any other scenario brings it on.

Is it considerable to pick up a 1150(just to be on the safe side for my setup INCLUDING the overclocks) Corsair to make sure that the PSU is/is not the cause?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I had this problem before and I suspect lots of things PSU, GPU, including the fan. So what I did (careful if you try this) I hook up ammeter to check the load, check temp on everything. I have found out my GPU fan don't behave well so I flash another version of this firmware (don't do this - lots of my friends suffer on this, me too) and the problem is gone. I don't blamed the engineers who build this card but that what engineers are for - solving problems.

I your case I guess the fan acted unusual - please check the manufacturer site for this.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

I currently have a Tagan 800W equipped. My GTX 460 is clocked with 1Gb memory and I took it up to 750 core speed to compense the loss that differ to other GTX 460s. (I've tried without clocking it myself too)

Something that still is strange to me is that this sound appear while running unclocked system overall, but disappears while the system is clocked. To me it seems like the PSU somehow unbelievable requires more powerconsuming components, which might indicate on a crappy PSU? Although some tech guys have recommended Tagan PSU's(or atleasy not complained when I told them I got one)

thanks for your time :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Thanks for your reply!

The temps are stable. I've cleaned every fan from dust and unwanted stuff, and I can try to check up on the load aswell, but I'd rather try out the not-too-complex alternatives before flashing graphics card bios or similiar :)

Thanks for taking time!

I wonder if its a "resonance" kind of issue where at a certain low speed the fan makes more noise, which goes away once the speed ramps up. Did your case or psu come with some rubber feet for the PSU to sit on to quell vibrations? Maybe adding a little rubber matting to sit the PSU on, and/or re-screwing in the PSU to make sure its tight and solid would reduce the problem.

Even a good PSU manufacturer can occasionally let a bad cheap component like a fan slip by, especially when the problem is subtle like this one. You could RMA it. Also trying another PSU just to be sure it is the cause would be good.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the reply dndhatcher, you've helped me quite alot in this case.
I'll pick up a 550(+?) PSU at a local store and try it. This one did come along with a rubber base which completely separate metal-metal connection between PSU and case.

What I got my minds about was that I actually used this PSU with another Graphics card, which did NOT cause any noise. So by theese data, I'd rather believe it's a graphics card issue, but I can't really find similiar posts on the internet on this or other forums, nor am I really able to understand wheter it's my fault or Sparkle's fault that this specific card is noisy, if so is the case.

Many thanks for your time, It's very appreciated!

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Another PSU tried, and the noise still is. I've also tried with a single RAM stick in every slot with the PSU aswell, but no furhter success.

With this current PSU, if it'd make any difference at all, I'll gladly inform you guys that I have tried WinXP Pro(64) and WinServ03 too, but with the XP graphicsdriver did not work(although I did not hear any noise while idling the PC) and the WinServ03 did not support my mobodrivers.