Recycling old laptops?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 5, 2005 5:56:27 PM

I have a couple (3-5) old Dell laptops that are pretty useless, the
TFTs are almost completely dead. Very often, companies that recycle
computer hardware charge a bunch of money for it. Does anyone know of
a company or a resource I can look to for places that will take my old
hardware and recycle it without charging me?

More about : recycling laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 6:38:51 PM

There are always geeks with abundace of time at eBay that think they
can fix anything. I'd bet u can unload those for $100 bux ez each.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 8:16:10 PM

digger@s4f.com wrote:
> I have a couple (3-5) old Dell laptops that are pretty useless, the
> TFTs are almost completely dead. Very often, companies that recycle
> computer hardware charge a bunch of money for it. Does anyone know of
> a company or a resource I can look to for places that will take my old
> hardware and recycle it without charging me?

'Dead' is relative with the problem you're describing. The machines would
still be useful when connected to a monitor, assuming you have any use for
them. If the display is merely dim, it's a problem with the backlight
(common), not the display itself. It could be 'recycled' into a useful
laptop with the replacement of the lamp...although this is not an easy thing
to do.

In any case, Dell has a pretty good recycling program. They sponsor
recycling days around here at least annually. They don't charge anything.

If you describe the units in a private email, I would probably be glad to
recycle them for you as well....

jak
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 9:50:08 AM

bobb wrote:
> There are always geeks with abundace of time at eBay that think they
> can fix anything. I'd bet u can unload those for $100 bux ez each.

And the good thing about selling them (aside from the money you get) is that
the person who buys them will feel there is some value to them. Often, when
something like this is donated, it is treated like worthless trash.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 4:07:31 PM

"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> There are always geeks with abundace of time at eBay that think they
> can fix anything. I'd bet u can unload those for $100 bux ez each.

You are absolutely right. Broken laptops and pieces thereof almost always
sell on Ebay. I think that's a better way to go than trying to find a
recycler. At least the person on Ebay may actually wind up getting the
laptops to work again.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 10:40:55 PM

"jakdedert" <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> digger@s4f.com wrote:
>> I have a couple (3-5) old Dell laptops that are pretty useless, the
>> TFTs are almost completely dead. Very often, companies that recycle
>> computer hardware charge a bunch of money for it. Does anyone know of
>> a company or a resource I can look to for places that will take my old
>> hardware and recycle it without charging me?
>
> 'Dead' is relative with the problem you're describing. The machines would
> still be useful when connected to a monitor, assuming you have any use for
> them. If the display is merely dim, it's a problem with the backlight
> (common), not the display itself. It could be 'recycled' into a useful
> laptop with the replacement of the lamp...although this is not an easy
> thing
> to do.
>
> In any case, Dell has a pretty good recycling program. They sponsor
> recycling days around here at least annually. They don't charge anything.
>
> If you describe the units in a private email, I would probably be glad to
> recycle them for you as well....

I may be interested in doing this for you - please send details to
sp100@sbcglobal.net

> jak

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 2:24:33 PM

Ian S wrote:
> "bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>> There are always geeks with abundace of time at eBay that think they
>> can fix anything. I'd bet u can unload those for $100 bux ez each.
>
> You are absolutely right. Broken laptops and pieces thereof almost
> always sell on Ebay. I think that's a better way to go than trying to
> find a recycler. At least the person on Ebay may actually wind up
> getting the laptops to work again.

I've commented on the (to me) ridiculous prices that ebayers pay for broken
laptops, digicams and PDA's. I don't see any way for them to come out
ahead....

jak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2005 9:19:44 PM

On or about 1/7/2005 12:24 PM, it came to pass that jakdedert wrote:
> Ian S wrote:
>
>>"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>There are always geeks with abundace of time at eBay that think they
>>>can fix anything. I'd bet u can unload those for $100 bux ez each.
>>
>>You are absolutely right. Broken laptops and pieces thereof almost
>>always sell on Ebay. I think that's a better way to go than trying to
>>find a recycler. At least the person on Ebay may actually wind up
>>getting the laptops to work again.
>

> I've commented on the (to me) ridiculous prices that ebayers pay for broken
> laptops, digicams and PDA's. I don't see any way for them to come out
> ahead....
>
> jak

If the laptop has a working LCD, the geek is mechanically inclined and has a
matching unit with a broken LCD, then $100 in my opinion is generally a bargain
when compared to the price of a new replacement LCD or replacement laptop.
I speak from experience.
Arn
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 5:19:57 PM

arnb wrote:
> On or about 1/7/2005 12:24 PM, it came to pass that jakdedert wrote:
>> Ian S wrote:
>>
>>> "bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message

>>> You are absolutely right. Broken laptops and pieces thereof almost
>>> always sell on Ebay. I think that's a better way to go than trying
>>> to find a recycler. At least the person on Ebay may actually wind up
>>> getting the laptops to work again.
>>

>> I've commented on the (to me) ridiculous prices that ebayers pay for
>> broken laptops, digicams and PDA's. I don't see any way for them to
>> come out ahead....
>>
>> jak
>>

> If the laptop has a working LCD, the geek is mechanically inclined
> and has a matching unit with a broken LCD, then $100 in my opinion is
> generally a bargain when compared to the price of a new replacement
> LCD or replacement laptop.
> I speak from experience.
> Arn

Have you actually checked the prices? I agree. $100 is reasonable, but
I've seen broken PDA's go for more than that. Finding a broken laptop on
ebay for $100 is rare.

jak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 11, 2005 10:13:54 PM

> Finding a broken laptop on ebay for $100 is rare.

Depends on the laptop. For $100 I would expect to get a fully working,
complete Pentium I or a Pentium II that's complete except for a minor
detail like hard disk or charger (or both).

I bought *many* NEC Versa SX machines on eBay for between $30 and $65
each. PII from 266 to 400, 14" 1024x768 LCD, battery, RAM. None of them
had hard drives or chargers, but all of the screens were good.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 5:42:18 AM

"jakdedert" <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:btWEd.13574$vM4.10976
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> Have you actually checked the prices? I agree. $100 is reasonable, but
> I've seen broken PDA's go for more than that. Finding a broken laptop on
> ebay for $100 is rare.

Last August I bought a laptop on Ebay (without battery, hard disk, or floppy
drive) for $39 shipped. I had a spare hard disk and the laptop now works
perfectly with Windows 2000 installed. We have four Armada 7800's at home -
two for me and one for each of our two sons. I bought three of them on Ebay
over the past two years. They are slow by today's standards but they are
better quality than new laptops. See below (personal information was
deleted):

LISTING DETAILS
Item name: Compaq Armada 7800 For Parts
Item number: 6703047198