Physics graphics card memory

roadwarrior7

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I'm going to buy GTX460 for my physics graphic card... I'm using eyefinity setup(5760x1080 res), and xfx 5970 BE. Should i get 2Gb memory version of 460 as well? or will 768mb or 1Gb be good enough for physics graphics card? I don't mind spending extra cash if 2Gb performs better.
Just wondering because im running on such a high resolution >.<

Solution
You mean PhysX? Honestly you're going way overboard with a GTX460. That's like giving your grandma a porshe to get to her weekly bridge games haha.

I'm using a GT 240 at 1920x1080, and it rarely even sees 50% usage in PhysX games. So far only 2 games have really pushed it, Batman and the Mafia 2 demo, both got to the 70s. Let's just say, in theory, it's going to be doing 3x as much PhysX (which it won't, generally) a GTS 260 is going to be all you need. IMO go for a GTS 250 or if you need to a 260. As for memory, well, 512 should be more than adequete - it doesn't really use memory. It acts as a PhysX card thanks to the CUDA operations.
You mean PhysX? Honestly you're going way overboard with a GTX460. That's like giving your grandma a porshe to get to her weekly bridge games haha.

I'm using a GT 240 at 1920x1080, and it rarely even sees 50% usage in PhysX games. So far only 2 games have really pushed it, Batman and the Mafia 2 demo, both got to the 70s. Let's just say, in theory, it's going to be doing 3x as much PhysX (which it won't, generally) a GTS 260 is going to be all you need. IMO go for a GTS 250 or if you need to a 260. As for memory, well, 512 should be more than adequete - it doesn't really use memory. It acts as a PhysX card thanks to the CUDA operations.

Solution

roadwarrior7

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Ohh, its kinda hard to find 260 around...(i live in down under-Australia)
Thats why i thought of getting GTX460 instead. So if memory doesn't come in to performance(which actually does make sense after reading ur comment)
i really wouldn't need to waste 100 dollaz for higher memory.

Thanx alot for the reply Wolfram =D

roadwarrior7

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

Thank you for the links Silversurfernh! =]
Looks like i don't need to waste like 100 dollaz afterall =D

Helltech

Distinguished

Pretty much this, honestly I would get a good single slot card for physx if I ever needed a card for that, just becuase you can and it will be enough.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-11.html

The good news here is that a GeForce GT 220 can be had for as little as $65 online, and as a dedicated PhysX card, it will guarantee that the High PhysX setting won't bottleneck performance. Even at 1920x1200, the GT 220 produced a minimum frame rate of 36 FPS as a dedicated PhysX card. Using more expensive solutions as dedicated PhysX processors didn't produce appreciably higher frame rates, so the GeForce GT 220 is a real PhysX champion for the price.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

I agree with this stick to the mid to high 9 series or above - 9 series can be had on the cheap and do a great job - i personally have an sli480 and 9800gt 1gb for physx

9800GT is great for PhysX. Like I said I have a GT240 which is around a 9600GT and it performs great, it's never caused a bottleneck and generally only has very low usage. But, during the very intense parts it does get up to 70% usage or so (albeit briefly). I don't think a GT220 would be sufficient, but a GTS 250 would be great, or a 9800GT (considering that it might be rendering a lot more on an eyeinfinity setup).

Also, in case you don't know, Nvidia does disable their cards if you have ATI in the system so you need to use a hack, called GenL 1.04ff (that's the current version, works with latest NV drivers and PhysX)