Sign in with
Your question

Win XP on old HDD now converted to External HDD

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2010 7:50:50 PM

Pulled a working HDD with Win XP sp2 and converted it to a USB external HDD....is there any way to boot from this external HDD now?? The new computer I will be using is Windows 7 OS....thanks GShoe
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2010 7:54:11 PM

Yes, if you have a modern motherboard, it should have an option to boot from usb device in the boot priority/devices section in the BIOS.
m
l
October 5, 2010 8:21:37 PM

masterasia said:
Yes, if you have a modern motherboard, it should have an option to boot from usb device in the boot priority/devices section in the BIOS.

I did change my boot order in the Bios, but an error message said a bootable OS could not be found....I do remember when I first plugged in the external USB HDD with Win XP I was asked, and accepted, if I wanted this external drive to be used for storage....is this why it was not identified as a bootable drive?
m
l
October 5, 2010 8:25:22 PM

I did change my boot order in the Bios, but an error message said a bootable OS could not be found....I do remember when I first plugged in the external USB HDD with Win XP I was asked, and accepted, if I wanted this external drive to be used for storage....is this why it was not identified as a bootable drive?
m
l
!