Ordering Components - Need Double Check

67726e

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'm ordering all of my components tonight and I was hoping someone could give my list a once over to make sure I'm not missing anything or have anything incompatible. I've done my research but I'm new to this and I am notorious for missing those mundane little details.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.482715

It is a combo and everything appears to be compatible but Newegg makes a point of stating there are no guarantees that the kits they throw together will work together.

I am also buying this additional 120mm fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200050&cm_re=120_mm_fan-_-35-200-050-_-Product

The power supply is 600W so it should be enough for this all, correct?

Solution
D
For the price it's hard to beat. Do realize though that Rosewill is not exactly a quality brand power supply ( as stated above ) also it is a DDR2 system and with DDR3 being the same price that is somewhat of a downside and last that 800GB WD Green hard drive is a storage drive and will be slow for a boot drive.
For maybe another $100 I could do an AMD X3 build with DDR3 a faster hard drive and a quality power supply. Up to you if it's worth it though.

You did notice it does not come with Windows?

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
It all looks like it should work fine. The 600W PSU should be way more than enough since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card (you'll only be able to do light gaming on pretty low settings with the integrated graphics on the mobo, but if you don't do games, then this isn't an issue). However, Rosewill PSUs can be of spotty quality. That one in particular has more 1 star reviews on Newegg than 3,4, and 5 star reviews combined, so I would be leery of using it. It has a decent chance of dying and taking your whole system with it.

If you fill out the form here you can probably get someone to put together a good setup within your budget that might be a little higher quality.

67726e

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I did notice the PSU has basically had either really good reviews or really bad ones. You said it could die and take my whole system with it? Do you mean it could crap out and disable my computer? How exactly does that happen?

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Depends on how the PSU dies. If it surges, it could burn out some or all of your components. This one doesn't seem to have that issue (or if it does, no one has commented on it), but it does seem to have a lot of DOAs.

D

Deleted member 217926

For the price it's hard to beat. Do realize though that Rosewill is not exactly a quality brand power supply ( as stated above ) also it is a DDR2 system and with DDR3 being the same price that is somewhat of a downside and last that 800GB WD Green hard drive is a storage drive and will be slow for a boot drive.
For maybe another $100 I could do an AMD X3 build with DDR3 a faster hard drive and a quality power supply. Up to you if it's worth it though.

You did notice it does not come with Windows?

Solution

67726e

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Unfortunately I'm basically at my budget's limit but I really don't expect to use this computer forever. I mean get me through college and I'm good. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 that is way underpowered than this machine and I can even play MW2 on it (though on the lower end of the graphical settings) so that kit that I am getting should be fine by me given that I'm more of a programmer than anything else.

I realize the sort of negative views on the PSU but the good vs. bad reviews are kind of half and half. The problem on it appears the be a faulty power switch. The people who didn't get a DOA power supply seemed to be quite satisfied with it. Besides, my motherboard is currently out of stock so if I order it, I will have time to check the PSU and requisition a replacement if it is DOA.

Just how likely is the PSU to 'surge' and fry my components? I mean someone could also break into my house the night I build this thing and steal it. But it isn't exactly likely to happen so what is the likelihood of this particular bogeyman?

I am aware this doesn't come with an OS but that isn't a problem at all, I have a copy of Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate ready for use.

I appreciate all the help guys.

coleam45

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
From the reviews, it looks like this PSU is pretty unlikely to fry your components, but it is always a risk with lower quality supplies, more so than with a top brand. With the integrated graphics, you might be able to play MW2 on low settings.